Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 AM

Default PT11.3.1/10.10.2*Long* beachball on session open / buffer change

Hey all - have tried to search for this but no joy so far. Apologies if my searching skills have let me down.

I've been experiencing a really annoying problem with PT11.3.1 under Yosemite (first under 10.10.1 and now under 10.10.2). It was happening on my mid 2011 17" i7 Macbook Pro (one of the ones with dodgy overheating graphics card), but it's also happening with my brand new iMac. Specs :

16GB RAM / 1TB Fusion Drive
Sessions on external FW800 drive via TB>FW800 adapter (but problem also present with sessions on OS drive)
Pro Tools 11.3.1

When I open a session, if it already has a bunch of audio tracks in it and plugins, I usually have to endure 2-5 mins of beachball (with all the clips greyed out slightly, indicating - I think - that PT hasn't assigned them to outputs yet). Sometimes, after the beachball, when I play the audio everything sounds ring modulated (on the MBP, I used to get this all the time whenever I had a CPU overload - ie every 30 seconds or so). Changing the playback buffer or toggling the "Ignore errors..." option in the playback engine will fix this. But since going to Yosemite, after I hit "OK" on the playback engine dialogue, I have to endure another 2-5 (or sometimes even more) minutes of beachball.

On the upside, everything is much more stable on the iMac. Once it's running, it's solid - haven't been getting CPU overloads, and CPU usage is much much lower. But this beachball action is embarrassing to say the least - had a client over for a mix on Monday, and it was a bit embarrassing when I had to change the playback buffer so we could quickly re-record a part and monitor via PT, only to have to sit there for nearly 8 minutes (I timed it) for PT to be responsive again.

Anyone else seen this? And yes I've tried all the troubleshooting bar removing all plugins (sorry - I've got work to do). I've also uninstalled and re-installed PT, cleared preferences using the PT Prefs app etc.

Many thanks all
Old 04-22-2015, 10:29 AM

Default Re: PT11.3.1/10.10.2*Long* beachball on session open / buffer change

I have been getting the beach ball pausing constantly with the latest. I can open a session and it all looks great the second I move or click anything it starts spinning away for a couple of minutes and come back. If I reboot it will clear up for about five mins and start again. Did all the usual fixes, permissions, prefs, spotlight index, etc. but it always comes back. My guess its more of a Yosemite thing then a PT11 thing. So no idea's now on how to fix but I can feel your pain.

C
Old 04-23-2015, 09:45 PM

Default Re: PT11.3.1/10.10.2*Long* beachball on session open / buffer change

Well on my side just to follow up, I got rid of the issues by starting a clean, new session and importing the tracks from the old session. Runs great and very responsive.

C