Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-17-2011, 10:43 AM

Default Why is it McDSP & Se Germans are the only ones with controls that aren't Spastic

Sitting here with a fairly large mix in PT 10 (Same applies to 9 and back) with lots of EQs, Comps etc... And tweaking them all I noticed that the ONLY plug-in maker that make controls (Gain, Ratio, Threshold - H+++ anything with a tweakable knob) that doesn't feel like it was programmed by a person with severe spasms in his hands...
Are those in the title ! If I have forgotten someone.. Please correct my me -- studiojimi ?? ;-)

Waves = Forget about it... Drag the mouse and the control will wind up ANYWHERE but where you wanted it to go. Dialing in via keyboard is the only way... Those guys make great sounding plugs but they surely must NOT be using their own product. I heard they use McDSP

Massenburg = Seems as if George wanted his controls to reflect the magnetism on the polar caps.

FabFilter... MouseWheel is great - Touching the control with the mouse and dragging is something you will NEVER wanna do...

All Abbeyroad plugs --- Jesus Christ --- Clearly the one who programmed those controls never in his life was exposed to ANY piece of gear with an actual knob or fader.

Sonnox --- Controls are heavy and clumsy. Just like their PR department.

Digidesign/AVID --- Pretty good but lagging all over the place. Drag-Lag-Let go and if you're lucky the faders stops where your hand stopped.
Same goes for protools BTW> Panning knobs are stickier than than chewing gum...

URS -- Dont even get me started.. I need to work out with dumbbells before touching their controls...

Brainworx - Touch it and the controls goes where you want it... No Lag no nothing just smooth

Elysia - Same thing

SPL - Same thing

McDSP - Fantastic.

I really wonder why plug-in makers produce plugs that sound great but with controls meant for a spastic research-lab. Or a neanderthal-person with course motor skills.

So why am I writing this... Hmm.. I have a small break and this REALLY bugs me. So much that I felt compelled to write.

Merry X-Mas
Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Why is it McDSP & Se Germans are the only ones with controls that aren't Spastic

love sean costello and his valhalla plugs,
but moving the values where you want is an adventure.

also, small anal thang, wish sonnox, flux, & others would let you stop on clean db breaks.

slightly OT, moving slate 's trigger automation lines is driving by braille

merry almost christmas, btw,
you should do your fav's of 2011 thread this year.

e
Old 12-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Why is it McDSP & Se Germans are the only ones with controls that aren't Spastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
merry almost christmas, btw,
you should do your fav's of 2011 thread this year.

e

You too....

Yeah, we'll get the OSCAR for best effects, I think after X-Mas though
Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 PM

I still love the "fader" option on the older gen McDSP plugs. That's part of the usability for me. Maybe it just makes for a bigger region to aim for when you want to arrive at a certain spot. You put your cursor where you want the fader to end up. With knobs you have to concentrate too much on the text field. I was disappointed that the newer McDSP versions don't give you the fader option.

For knobs, I much prefer the straight up-and-down drag vs. the circular around-the-edges move. I love the general design and layout of the URS Channel Strip Pro, and use it more than any other plug. I guess I'm getting used to it....
Old 12-18-2011, 02:58 AM

It's sad how bad the ergonomics of many plug-ins are.
Some replications of hardware originals even rebuilt the second ring on a potentiometer for the Q control of an EQ band. No chance to control that with a mouse.
Another example: scalable pug-in-window sizes. Melodyne can do it, Transfuser has three sizes. I don't know about any others. Why?

Mark
Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

Waves = Forget about it... Drag the mouse and the control will wind up ANYWHERE but where you wanted it to go. Dialing in via keyboard is the only way... Those guys make great sounding plugs but they surely must NOT be using their own product.
Hi,

Waves working great here! using scroll wheel on my optical lazer trackball works like a dream. also use my contour Shuttle job wheel works great.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I still love the "fader" option on the older gen McDSP plugs. That's part of the usability for me. Maybe it just makes for a bigger region to aim for when you want to arrive at a certain spot. You put your cursor where you want the fader to end up. With knobs you have to concentrate too much on the text field. I was disappointed that the newer McDSP versions don't give you the fader option.
Totaly agree.

Which is also why it's so annoying to find out that those are no longer there in Filterbank v5. I wish they brought'em back... colin ?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post
Totaly agree.

Which is also why it's so annoying to find out that those are no longer there in Filterbank v5. I wish they brought'em back... colin ?
AKA,

those fader versions are STILL a part of the plugs... In the installer, just choose to install the older versions as well... That will get you those beloved faders back...

If you install the Emerald or ALL plugs bundle.. Select the 'Install all plug-ins' option....
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
AKA,

those fader versions are STILL a part of the plugs... In the installer, just choose to install the older versions as well... That will get you those beloved faders back...

If you install the Emerald or ALL plugs bundle.. Select the 'Install all plug-ins' option....
I have found that if you don*t install the legacy plugs your recalled sessions will not recognize the newer versions and you end up with no mcdsp plugs. So if you actually want to use the newer plug versions you need to install the legacy ones too, recall your session with legacy plugs opening up and then go in and manually change them to the new versions. That way you will get the new ones swapped in with correct parameter settings from the legacy plugs.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
AKA,

Right, you can install "older versions"... but as far as I know - those are regarded legacy, and are not planned to be developed further. unfortunately