Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Using PRS interface w/ Pro Tools

Hey, I just bought a Waves PRS Guitar interface to play my Eleven plug-in in Pro Tools 8 LE. I also have the Mbox Mini 2 and an Echo Audiofire 4 audio consoe. I have one cable going from my guitar to the PRS' input but I am confused as to how to connect the PRS to my Mbox Mini in order to play my Eleven plug-in. I've tried the 4 possible combinations of connections between the PRS' mic and unbalanced outputs to the Mbox Mini's mic and Line/DI inputs and in each case I can hear a perfectly loud clean guitar tone but none of the Eleven amplifiers. Has anyone else successfully used the PRS interface with Pro Tools? Am I supposed to somehow bypass the Mbox Mini's preamps?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Using PRS interface w/ Pro Tools

I should mention that the reason I bought the PRS interface is because I didn't like the way the Eleven amplifiers sounded when I plugged my guitar directly into the Mbox's Line/DI input. I had been trying to record a track with high distortion guitar sounds and it sounded very muddy, unclear and lacking in punch. I had read that getting a high-to-low impedance conversion box like the PRS (at least I hope that's what it's supposed to do) would possibly send a clearer dry signal into Pro Tools. Also my understanding with Pro Tool 8 LE is that I cannot possibly use another audio card (like my Echo Audiofire4) other than an Mbox.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 AM

I haven't ever used one but it sounds pretty straight forward. Here is how I personally use my mbox 2 mini with my laptop when we're on the bus recording.

guitar into mbox mini input 2, input volume on the front is set to a nice level (no clipping)

in PT create 2 tracks,

track one's input is set to input 2 from mbox mini
track one's output is set to bus 1 (any bus will do)

track two's input is set to bus 1 (or whatever you set track one's output bus to) track two's output is set to you main out's L+R

arm both for recording and solo track two. load your eleven or whatever other plugins in track two.

now whenever you record you are recording your dry audio into track 1 and your re-amped audio into track 2. if you don't like your settings, no need to worry. just delete the audio in track 2, make changes and only arm track 2 for recording and just click record/play and it will play what you previously recorded from the dry track 1 back though your newly changed presets and re-record all your stuff for you with your new settings.

works great for me, hope it'll help you :)

best of luck
Old 05-24-2011, 08:34 AM

So you've played the Eleven plug-in using an Mbox Mini and gotten a very good amplifier sound? Have you recorded hard rock/high distortion guitar tracks that sound good in this way?
Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Are you referring to the Eleven-Free plugin or the $700-$900 Eleven-LE plugin?

Eleven-LE has some good tones, But I've used Waves GTR3, Avid's Eleven-LE, NI Guitar Rig 4, And IK's Aplitube 3 (with expansion packs)

And i can get a good tone out of all of them, I'm not a fan of the Eleven-Free though, hardly any choices. If you are looking into spending some money and getting an rtas plugin, I would highly recommend Aplitube 3. Tones of amps and effects, Eleven-LE has no effects.

But honestly if you are going to spend $600-700 on this project the Eleven Rack is the way to go :)

But to answer your question... Yes. Even with a bad guitar modeler I can comp, and EQ to get a somewhat workable tone for writing, but defiantly nothing I want to keep for actual studio tracks.

If you need any tips and advice i'm all ears :)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM

any for my tones, i range from ac/dc and 3 doors down, to killswitch and opeth and anything in between.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:52 AM

I have the Eleven LE version on rental for 14 days (only $20!) so I have access to all of the amps and cabinets.

To be more clear I'm attempting to use the Mbox 2 Mini & Eleven plugin to record studio quality guitar tracks. So I'm a bit confused by your previous post, have you actually used Eleven for laying down studio tracks and not just for writing? Do you have finalized songs on a Myspace, Soundcloud, etc. page that were recorded using Eleven or any of the other amp emulators you mentioned (GTR3, Amplitube or Guitar Rig)? Your help is definitely appreciated!
Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 AM

The Eleven LE is a great plugin to use for studio work. I'm currently visiting my friends studio with an HD2 system and he's using the Eleven plugin with some delay plugins and an outboard Comp and channel strip with eq and the results sound amazing! The band is signed with Warner so I can't post anything until a month or two when their album drops, but it sounds huge. I was really impressed!

You should have no problem getting the same result with your mbox. I would slap in a smack LE or some other comp, tweek the eq's a bit and you should be on your way.

I was just trying to steer you clear of the Eleven-Free plugin, I'm not a fan.

But the Eleven LE will get you great results (I just liked amplitube better cause it has effects and tons of expansions and new amp models, but the Eleven LE is a class act!)

I'll throw some samples up in a month when their single drops if you're still interested.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Okay then I probably need to do some more tweaking and research because I honestly don't think I'm getting that great sound that you and others have raved about with the Eleven plugin. Maybe it has something to do with my computer's specs, it is kind of old. Post a link to the single when it's released as I'd definitely be interested in listening, thanks!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:11 AM

It sounds like your problem has to do with having to use the mix knob on the Mini, which is mixing your clean signal with the effected amp signal. Not sure if there's a workaround for that.

That PRS is a fantastic box.