Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-18-2018, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Man Overboard! (will PT2018 interfere with Logic?)

Good to hear. I write better songs in Logic but I have heard what you are talking about mentioned on Logic forums. The video however went over my head...sounded like audio drop outs?
Old 02-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupreGlu View Post
Good to hear. I write better songs in Logic but I have heard what you are talking about mentioned on Logic forums. The video however went over my head...sounded like audio drop outs?
that's volume automation that's been made where the vertical lines are.

It's supposed to drop out where the drops are then come back in at the raises (as per very first play through in vid).

After i enable effects with latency in the signal path, the automation no longer plays on time.. it's pretty easy to see and hear even with the crappy macbook internal mic i used :)

Funny how we all work.. My composition has never been better than in PT..

NOTE.. when Logic 9 existed, i wouldn't even look at another daw, warts and all.

But 4 years later and i could never get used to the horrible dark UI of X.

Pro tools gave me back that "cheerful" Ui that energises me to compose.

I have managed to replace many of the Logic midi tools with aax plugins cause aax has midi out, unlike au, so i can still do everything I need.

We are all different and that's what makes the world wonderful. Just last thing, it wasn't an easy decision, i started with logic at V 2
not only that, i taught it at my pro studio when i had it, and consider myself a logic guru even today. I just know it backwards.. Yet to me, apple keep bolting on features without fixing core issues like the one i showed...

I hope avid doesn't do the same thing, but time will tell.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the info...I still dont get the entirety of the Logic issue. So yeah I have mixed heavy sessions with heavy plugs and automation in PT. In Logic I have just been writing and not gotten to the mix level where automation comes into play.

However, I was doing a collab with a guitarist recently who would send me average of 30+ GTR Tracks. He would have a few clean and most overloaded with plugs. Insane amounts of plugs (didn't know how to mix or use inserts/aux). So the sessions would be all his tracks + my basic tracks of all VIs for drums (superior), bass (ample), gtr (ample), piano (kontakt-soundiron), choirs (kontakt-soundiron) and usually other kontakt and logic keys. plus slate vms on 1 lead vox.

The sessions played perfectly no smearing or weird timing. never even maxed out the 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 w/ 8GIG RAM.

So what you saying is that:
a. even though that session sounds OK they is a sync issue i just cant hear it
or
b. the session is OK but only because I have not done any automation. and the minute I put one automation move on it the session will fall apart?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupreGlu View Post
Thanks for the info...I still dont get the entirety of the Logic issue. So yeah I have mixed heavy sessions with heavy plugs and automation in PT. In Logic I have just been writing and not gotten to the mix level where automation comes into play.

However, I was doing a collab with a guitarist recently who would send me average of 30+ GTR Tracks. He would have a few clean and most overloaded with plugs. Insane amounts of plugs (didn't know how to mix or use inserts/aux). So the sessions would be all his tracks + my basic tracks of all VIs for drums (superior), bass (ample), gtr (ample), piano (kontakt-soundiron), choirs (kontakt-soundiron) and usually other kontakt and logic keys. plus slate vms on 1 lead vox.

The sessions played perfectly no smearing or weird timing. never even maxed out the 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 w/ 8GIG RAM.

So what you saying is that:
a. even though that session sounds OK they is a sync issue i just cant hear it
or
b. the session is OK but only because I have not done any automation. and the minute I put one automation move on it the session will fall apart?

Neither.. There will be no issue unless you use plugins with latency on tracks or instruments.
Busses (included drummer tracks) are ok and all plugins automate in time on them.

If you hear weird things and automation not occurring where you've drawn it, then it's happening. Give me a PM here and i'll send you some workarounds and help any time you need it.

Also don't forget with Logic to start all your songs not before bar 5. There is an effects buffer issue that has plagued it for over ten years and continues today. Apple blame plugin devs, they blame apple.. but the facts are that plugin devs that follow apples instructions, like fab filter, have zero issues. Logic is the world's only daw with this issue.

What happens is, say you stopped playback in the middle of when there is a long reverb tail or delay.
Unlike other DAW's that just fade those out normally, when you press play again in Logic, the tail of the plugins has been "collected in the buffer".. so even if you press play over empty space, you will hear the tail of the plugin re triggered and play right through again. About 70% of Au plugins do it and it's infuriating.
Even most instruments do it.. you will hear phantom notes over empty areas where there is no midi and stuff.

The way to get around it is when it's time for the final bounce, to play the 4 silent bars at the start of the song looped until all effects and notes disappear. Then stop, unselect loop, and bounce.

Also, note, that sometimes, a reverb tail might trigger in Logic as it's approaching an audio clip during playback.. just before the clip actually starts.. be aware this is Logic so don't drive yourself crazy trying to find the root cause in the mixing phase. Just clear the buffer as i described for the final mixdown or you could literally have phantom reverb tails and midi notes in your bounce.

I guess this has gone real off topic here now, but PM if you ever need help as i said. But because of those two issues I would never consider logic again as my main daw in my lifetime.

it's pleasant to compose in but horrible to edit audio and mix down in. Midi is powerful and drawing controllers and tempo data is my favourite out of all the DAWs, same with beat mapping. But i got to the point where i just wanted these issues to stop, and pro tools (or cubase or many other DAWs) gave me that. The only DAW i would ever consider using again over pro tools is Cubase. It is superior to Logic in *almost* every possible way. I really would have recommended that to you over Logic, and cubase has the most powerful midi of any DAW, period. There's nothing that comes close if composition is your thing. IMO of course! peace :)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the details on that ... great info. I will check into those issues more and let you know.