Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-1998, 07:13 AM

Default Upgrade information

I want to upgrade my Session8 to PTMix. According to information Bruce posted some time ago, when PTMix will be NT-compatible I will get BOTH Mac and NT software. The question is: what plug-ins will I get (assuming that it will be this year): will I get Megaverb for Mac AND something like it (hopefully better than Digiverb) for NT? My dealer says that with current packages (4.2 with d24 card) he gets books for both platforms but he has to specify platform and he gets only one set of disks. Second platform costs about 270DEM (150$). But I think he was talking about new purchase and not the upgrade. If so, I will have to decide which platform (Mac or NT) to choose BEFORE actually buying PTMix - and of course I want to choose platform later ;-)
Thanks,
Przemek.
Old 11-14-1998, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Upgrade information

I have a similar question. Maybe it's the same question. I'm currently a Mac user with PT / Audiomedia. If I decide to move to NT, will my ability to upgrade to further PT versions still be the same. For example, I have PT 4.1.1. If I want to go to some future PT 5.0 for the PC, will the upgrade cost the same as if I upgraded for the Mac?

Thanks
Old 11-16-1998, 12:49 AM
Avid

Default Re: Upgrade information

If you upgrade to Pro Tools|24 or buy it new, you will receive both Mac and NT versions of Pro Tools with the hardware. If you upgrade to Mix instead, you would recieve the mac software only at this time. Mac Pro Tools owners can "Side-Grade" to Pro Tools NT. If you wait to upgrade to Pro Tools|24 MIX until the NT software supports it, you will get both platform versions of the software for MIX. From now on, when you get a new Pro Tools hardware system, (either new or by an upgrade) you will get the current available Pro Tools software (BOTH platforms) included. I know the DigiRack Plugins and D-Verb are included, but I haven't heard if anything else will be included with PT NT MIX.
sidereal: If you were to upgrade to PT 4.2.1 for NT now, it would be $149. It's possible that in the future, mac and NT versions might both be included in an upgrade. Regardless, I don't see any reason if they were separate for one to cost more than the other.
Am I making sense? I hope so.

Bruce Paine,
Digidesign Product Information