Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 AM

Default MIDI Automation to Audio Track Automation

Hello there,

I am transferring a project from Cubase to Pro Tools 10. Cubase doesn't export volume automation in its OMF2 files. In Cubase you can copy automation data from a MIDI track to an audio track. You can not do this in Pro Tools as Avid considers these tracks to be different types which is a surprisingly bland excuse.

My idea was to export MIDI files full of my important automation data and then simply move them to the tracks I need in Pro Tools using one automation point at the origin to maintain placement.

Since I can not do that now I was wondering is there a way to copy automation between different types of tracks at all? I had an idea where I could group an audio and MIDI track together and set one to read automation and one to write automation with the write automation track controlling the other. Sadly this didn't work. The only thing I can think of is sticking two motorised faders together and do the read write method =P

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2012, 09:51 AM

Default Re: MIDI Automation to Audio Track Automation

Have a look in the manual for Copy/Paste Special as that may be the answer you're looking for.

Cheers
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I came across the specials in the context menu and the toolbars at the top of the screen but sadly even the option along the lines of "copy to current automation type" doesn't play ball.

I checked the manual before I posted the thread and it confirms that Pro Tools considers MIDI and audio track automation to be different types of data. There is a specific note to say that you can not copy to and from those tracks.

- MIDI is controller information
- Audio is "normal" automation.

Although Cubase allows for the copying and pasting to and from any MIDI controller lane to any audio automation lane Pro Tools wont allow for the same.

It is really becoming a pain as Cubase is my main DAW for recording and mixing and my University demands Pro Tools mixes under the industry standard standpoint. Damn annoying Cubase doesn't throw out automation information as well.

Thanks
Old 11-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Bad Cubase bad!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 AM

Constructive replies would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 AM

If you cant save that data via OMF V2 than I don't believe you can make any use of it in PT....
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Thanks for that. That is a pity, maybe in a future version more universal automation handling can be included in PT. I will be on to Steinberg to see if Cubase 7 will handle OMFs with more of a sense of knowing what the OMF was meant to do.

In the mean time I best see if I can borrow a set of motorised faders for the fun of it. That should work, technically.