Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 AM

Default Re: Conumdrum: New Mac Pro?

Hi bzone, are you currently working on the NewMP? Are you PT Native or HD also which chassis? Thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 10:23 AM

A1,
New Mac Pro 6 core, 500 video card, 64 Gig ram, Sonnet Express RIII, HDX,
PT11 HD. I still Have a TDM HD 10, and HDX 10 system to compare.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
Some very valid points have been made. If you actually have both systems to compare next to each other, and work with them. You will notice the differences. As far as making a mix better well; If you can work through a session faster, put less fatigue on your ears, enjoy the speed and the new technology, get more work done, then perhaps the mixing will be better. As for our friends in Europe who do not have the options that we do. I assure you the new Mac Pro with Pro Tools 11 on Mavericks is awesome. I can not comment on the dragster engine in the Toyota, never had the pleasure of driving a Toyota. I drive BMW's.
My slant on this is based on blending aesthetics with utility. From a utility or business perspective understanding what translates into profit (if that is your goal) is very complex. Understanding how to get the greatest return on money invested can be a life long study and is as complicated as acoustical physics or sound engineering. Reality isn't intuitive. As artists we can be guilty of magical thinking (if you build it they will come) so that we can hold and experience the very best tools in our noble artistic quests. I have done well at running my businesses. I won't go into the boring details of what a pro forma is, and hopefully anyone in business knows exactly what that means. I have the luxury of employing CEOs, CFOs, accounts, attorneys, department heads, IT director, etc who compile pro formas, on which I and my partners rely on as we make decisions on reinvesting into the businesses. A wrong decision can result in running into the red and can cause a great deal of stress. I am more often guilty of wanting the very best. I will often make the decision to just spend on a piece of equipment because I want it and I can afford it. That has nothing to do with making a sound business decision. A sound business decision also includes serious consideration of retirement planning, not just surviving in present time.

A person with little to no financial/business stress working on less than the best system will be happier and more creative than a person with serious financial/business stress who is trying to meet quotas. Ones sense of peace and inner calm can't be left to chance. Disenchantment and financial/business stress has taken serious tolls on the music world. It pains me to think of all of the individuals (my friends) that have proudly posted pictures of their studios in evolution and end up having to hocking their gear a couple of years later. I am not trying to be doom and gloom. I am just trying to affirm a cautious, creative approach.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:33 PM

These are incredibly good points, and I agree whole heartedly. By all means if it is not in your budget do not do so. (My accountants stated that I could use the write-off). This topic to me was about the new Mac Pro and it's functionality. Yes it is expensive. I have a Mac Book Retina right next to it that can run PT 10 Thunderbolt into the Sonnet chassis. Can you make things work with a Mac Book, or Mac Mini, iMac, or old Mac Pro? You bet. Its the song, the music, the dialogue heard the right way in contrast with the picture that moves us. A great console never wrote a hit!

To me it is the opportunity to try the new technologies that the many have put in front of us to create our art. Please see the new Sony commercial that is running now. I am excited about the future! I can't tell you how many times I have cursed Digi Design and Avid in the middle of things, but, I am also grateful for the opportunity to work with new Products Apple and Avid has given us. The new Mac Pro is worth it. It will probably last me a good 5 to 7 years into the future.