Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 AM

Default Re: HD6 vs HDX2 "ITB" Listening Challenge

difference between two versions is huge...IMHO = :)

the low end on the HDX Mix is bigger and rounder , and has allot more details... on the top end who ever - i hear no major difference - just a great mix....but overall there is something more exciting about the HDX mix....sounds like it has more life to it. great little challenge ....:)

p.s
discovered a great band - the LOST PROPHETS....they sound really good , and Ken did a great job producing and mixing....

R&R
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 AM

Not huge. You're engaging in hyperbole. Even the guy that did the test said it was subtle.

My thoughts:
1. HDX mix could be described as slightly clearer. Or maybe thinner.
2. TDM mix could be described as "thicker" or maybe more veiled. Kick is more forward. (when attempting to cancel, lots of kick is left as is lots of the guitars upper freqs)
3. Listening to the hat in the HDX mix, slightly different upper mid shape.

Very interesting indeed. Different but not necessarily better. One could argue that aspects of each are better/worse.

All listening done in a treated room on Barefoot MM27s through X Mon monitor controller.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:16 AM

And I thought that I am entitled of my own opinion..... Cause aperently I am exaggerating according to dmazurak....

I felt the hdx mix is better to my taste and I don't understand why anyone would take the time to contradict my opinion other then just provoke me into an ugly change of posts here...

I am better then that....

Btw all I said is that in the low end the difference was huge... And I pointed out that other then the low end it sounds the same more or less just more exciting..... So you might wanna think again about who is engaging in hyperbole....
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 11-02-2012, 09:37 AM

come on folks - lets all play nice here.

we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Thanks Tom Graham for doing this.... looking forward to listening myself.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
And I thought that I am entitled of my own opinion..... Cause aperently I am exaggerating according to dmazurak....

I felt the hdx mix is better to my taste and I don't understand why anyone would take the time to contradict my opinion other then just provoke me into an ugly change of posts here...

I am better then that....

Btw all I said is that in the low end the difference was huge... And I pointed out that other then the low end it sounds the same more or less just more exciting..... So you might wanna think again about who is engaging in hyperbole....
Just trying to "keep it real", as they say.

You are of course entitled to your opinion just as I am entitled to think you're being a little over the top.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Like Ilulilu888 I felt the Low end was more detailed, on my system I could feel the low end of the kick had more presence and roundness. The high did seem clearer, but by no mean thinner, opposite in fact, they seemed wider and more open.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 AM

Just listened to both mixes. I wouldn't say there is a massive difference. The HDX mix to me sounds slightly more open and wider. I also looked at the usage comparison pictures they published. Would be interesting to know exactly what plugins were used. I can see some McDSP ones and a bomb factory one. Id like to know which ones were changed to native as AAX DSP doesn't exist for alot of plugs yet. One of the reasons I'm holding on to my 10 HD accel 7 rig. I would dive straight in if their were more around.

Thanks Tom for putting this up its great to know and hear the difference. I listened through my current PT setup

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
come on folks - lets all play nice here.

we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Thanks Tom Graham for doing this.... looking forward to listening myself.
Thanks Mixer Guy... I love doing these kind of comparisons and trying to balance the ever living hype and rhetoric that lives in the pro audio space with real world tests.

Ken said an interesting thing to me when we talked about doing this and I'm paraphrasing: "Most producer/mixer friends want to work at 88.2k or 96k but can't because of the limited resources and that coupled with the added power is a great reason to do the upgrade, but if it actually sounded even better on the ITB engine - then it's a win, win, win and really a no brainer".

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 11-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Thanks Tom for putting this up its great to know and hear the difference. I listened through my current PT setup
Thank you guys for taking the time! Your feedback is much appreciated!
Make sure to fill out the survey questions so we can really aggregate all your feedback! So glad you guys dig it!

BTW - Ken will post some info on his plug-in choices and the DSP/Native breakdown.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 AM

I recently decided to do a session at 88.2 after watching Mike Shipley in the HDX interview saying that he thinks plugs always sound better at 96. I thought my mix sounded better. I never ran out of tracks but I was very close to getting there. It would definetly be great to run at this rate and not worry about things like track count etc. I will definetly be upgrading at some point as soon as more AAX DSP plugs are released. I track heavily with plugs on and rely on the low latency of DSP plugs as soon as this happens ill be an HDX owner

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Closed Thread