Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2011, 04:27 PM

Default Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by edadema View Post
Your a bright one..... The car industry is a big rip off too. No one buys a car out of pocket, they get loans and if people did buy cars out of pocket how many people would put up a years salary for a car. We need to fix that industry too.
In some part I agree, but that's mostly due because people do not want to buy used cars, or not a lot of people does. A friend of mine who's a video editor, bought his car for 9 thousand (without a loan) 5 years old car upon purchase, but in a1 condition. He hasn't have to put a dime on repairs, beside the usual tires and oil changes, and he's had it for 5 years now. SO if more people would actually take the time to do this, less people would have to take out loans. So instead of saying that the industry needs to be fixed, maybe it's the mentality and excessive debt people tend to get to, just to get new things that should be changed.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Angry Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Well To compare this system to the purchase of a car is ridiculous yet telling
You see because a Mercedes is a luxury vehicle and cars (aside from getting someone to work)generally aren't a professional purchase

A Pro Tools HD system on the other hand is a professional purchase. People's livelihoods are based off having the right gear. And if purchasing it is out of their reach then this makes Pro Tools a Club Exclusive for the Rich.
Avid cares about money, not the average man.

A good roll model for Avid would be Native Instruments. They halved their prices and are making more profit now than before by selling to the masses.
But until then Pro Tools will be a Club Exclusive for the Rich
Old 11-19-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post
You see because a Mercedes is a luxury vehicle and cars (aside from getting someone to work)generally aren't a professional purchase

A Pro Tools HD system on the other hand is a professional purchase. People's livelihoods are based off having the right gear. And if purchasing it is out of their reach then this makes Pro Tools a Club Exclusive for the Rich.

A good roll model for Avid would be Native Instruments. They halved their prices and are making more profit now than before by selling to the masses.
Exactly so unlike cars, here you can recoup on the investment due to the work you do with the said card. A sound business is to always have some money aside for future upgrade, if you don't, then take your time and save for it with a few more contracts, that is if your business model requires it. The price of the HDX card to me, is where it should be. Might not be the same for others.

And native instruments doesn't have the same market niche for their hardware. HDX and the interfaces are clearly meant for the high end studios and post prod. Although more than those uses them, it is at their own expenses if their business model can't recoup on it. So to compare the two is useless.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diccer View Post

I agree and disagree.

I have already stated my position on current pricing, but realistically... a professional should be able to afford it. It shouldn't take more than a project or two to cover even the HD upgrade cost. Perhaps this mentality went into the decision for upgrade pricing.

Now, if you have a facility with several systems, paying $1000 per system is definitely outrageous, and $599 makes little sense, since you don't need tech support for every individual system.

The luxury car mentality does somewhat apply, however. There are plenty of people running HD systems who are not making a return, and consider themselves hobbyists. If that's the case... why use an HD system? Even in the past, the entry into HD has always been costly, and if you aren't making anything from it, keeping up with TDM plugin upgrades and software upgrades can be expensive without a doubt. So does a hobbyist really need HD? Probably not, but it's nice to have the "HD" tag just as it is nice to have a Mercedes logo on your car.

What this release will prove, is whether or not the HD flagship is really as prestigious as Avid thinks it is. $1000 is too high to upgrade just for the name, and if TDM is on its way out, it's even more incentive to just wait for PT11 and crossgrade to HDX, especially since AAX will be in full swing by then.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-19-2011, 07:35 PM

My whole point with the car analogy was simply that I've never heard of someone looking at a product, then trying to determine what parts are used, calculating what they think it should cost, and then complaining to the manufacturer. With every other product, if it's too expensive, people simply don't buy it and buy something else instead. The whole thing just seems odd to me.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
My whole point with the car analogy was simply that I've never heard of someone looking at a product, then trying to determine what parts are used, calculating what they think it should cost, and then complaining to the manufacturer. With every other product, if it's too expensive, people simply don't buy it and buy something else instead. The whole thing just seems odd to me.
Well, to be fair... Avid has a fairly open line of communication by comparison. People complain here because there is a chance that an actual employee of Avid may respond. It's hard to think of another public corporation that has an open forum, even if we don't always like their responses.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Lightbulb Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
And now you're putting words in my mouth that I have never said, but I kinda expected that from our past discussions so I'm not surprised.
As you did mine which I expect.....
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM

Question Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Exactly so unlike cars, here you can recoup on the investment due to the work you do with the said card. A sound business is to always have some money aside for future upgrade, if you don't, then take your time and save for it with a few more contracts, that is if your business model requires it. The price of the HDX card to me, is where it should be. Might not be the same for others.

And native instruments doesn't have the same market niche for their hardware. HDX and the interfaces are clearly meant for the high end studios and post prod. Although more than those uses them, it is at their own expenses if their business model can't recoup on it. So to compare the two is useless.
The price on the HDX is were it should be..............you got to kidding You have developed hardware and software? You know how much it cost to market a product in the audio industry..? Your just making more assumptions ........What are you judging "where it should be" on ?? This ought to be good..
Old 11-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
The price on the HDX is were it should be..............you got to kidding You have developed hardware and software? You know how much it cost to market a product in the audio industry..? Your just making more assumptions ........What are you judging "where it should be" on ?? This ought to be good..
I'm basing myself on the announced power of the hdx card vs the other dsp equivalence. Which at the moment should reside in between the hd3 to hd 4 vs 1 hdx card. So, as I said, for me, it's where it should be.

I know for you it's hard to comprehend that some people find part of this release very pleasing while other parts not so pleasing, and yet not be an avid employee, or paid to do damage control. That seems to just zip right by your processing unit right to the corporate shill drinking koolaid. But it's not our fault you aren't happy and that it's jamming any capacity to process other things that "arrg he likes avid.. he's an employee!! death with him death with him!!" But we forgive you, because in the end you make us grin and laugh.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Exclamation Re: $5000 for a new HDX system

Yeah, just say you don't know because you don't know.......

I find it amazing that you have missed all the complaining about Avid's little upgrade not only here but on many other sites ?? Also, I don't know how you fit your studio time in while shilling for Avid, calculating what an HDX should sell for...

It's kinda weird how certain people just hang on certain sites like you ...looks like you just joined last year but you have been a PT user for more than 10 years........yeah right.....now tat's funny.....

Lol