Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2013, 04:41 PM

Default Is there a trick to cut unwanted noise automatically

Sorry for my bad English, but I was wondering if there is a way to automatically cut the unwanted noises between the main signal a more time effectively and efficiently.

For example: I recorded some vocals and there are noises in between the main source and the noise and I just want to cut the noises(Like breathing, coughing, chair moving, foot stepping, etc) would there be a more less time consuming way to do this. I have been manually cutting the vocals and its very time consuming, so I was wondering if I maybe missed out on a TRICK or TIP to do this more efficiently.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Is there a trick to cut unwanted noise automatically

You can use strip silence and then add fades automatically to make it sound smooth.

How well it works depends on how loud the noise is. You'll probably still have to tweak any breaths or noises that are as loud as the vocals.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:18 PM

Some things to consider here. No algorithm will be as accurate, or have the musical taste/skill to do this function well(and I assume you want it done well). Breathing is a natural part of singing and to remove it all might be an interesting effect, or it might make the result sound completely unnatural. I rarely remove a breath, but I will maybe highlight/separate and apply Clip Gain. Speaking of Clip Gain, I usually go thru the entire vocal performance and level it out, using Clip Gain. That makes the performance more even and it then drives my compressor plugin more consistently(which can make a big difference with "character" compressors). We sometimes get so impatient that we forget about the art and science of good recording. There are fast paths to take, but are they the RIGHT paths? To me, some things are simply worth the time it takes to make them right(not "perfect" as perfection can be highly over-rated)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 PM

+1 to what albee is talking about...

This issue reminds of when I first started recording with digital and realized I could cut out every little thing. That's exactly what I did, cut out all the breaths. Albee is right about the possibility of it sounding completely unnatural, as that was the result I got. For me, pre- clip gain, I would compress the vocal mildly maybe 2:1, maybe +3 or +6 of gain, then gate that signal with a 'natural' sounding attack and release (varied by talent/artist) and not gate out the breathing.

Don't over think it, it's all about getting a good sound to start with. IF the take is THE ONE and there's noise in it, it's meant to be. Small imperfections are what can make or break a performance, but trying to alter a 'decent' track can lead you down the dark road of 'perfection'. If the sound is terrible to begin with, no amount of time, or editing will fix it.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 05-31-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
I would compress the vocal mildly maybe 2:1, maybe +3 or +6 of gain, then gate that signal with a 'natural' sounding attack and release (varied by talent/artist)
You beat me to it:)

Below are some settings I start with when gating vocals to reduce breath and unwanted sounds.
You will probably need to change them a bit to suite your needs.

First is with the stock Dyn3 Expander/Gate plugin and the second is with the stock Channel Strip plugin.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:28 AM

I also use 2 compressor plugins, back to back, but didn't want to toss too much info in one shot. Even with this, I still "level" a performance if the dynamics are too hot or cold in spots. My "go to" chain is EQ III doing a high-pass, then BF76(set for gentle compression at 4:1), then SMACK!(more compression and some character), a De-esser(only if needed) and finally a Pultec EQ1-A(to add some "air" that the compressors seem to dampen).

Old 05-31-2013, 01:24 PM

Is there a trick to cut unwanted noise automatically

Yes, but killing your wife is illegal...

Sorry...I guess I'm just in one of those moods...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-31-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Is there a trick to cut unwanted noise automatically

Yes, but killing your wife is illegal...

Sorry...I guess I'm just in one of those moods...
Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM

Hey Bill, I got a spare bedroom...............just in case

Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM

HA! That just made my Friday! Thanks Bill.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors