Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2016, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Spinning Beachball when attempting to instatiate newer plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Anyone else getting the beachball and having to re-start Pro Tools when attempting to instantiate newer plugins, like Slate VMR, SoundToys S EQ or Eventide Room etc, on larger sessions? Is this a factor of the RAM limits of Pro Tools 10 HD or is there possibly something wrong with my system? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
I have the same problem with Eventide Precision Time Align and Sonnox Envolution. I am on 10.3.8/Mavericks/HD7.

Quote:
Definitely not everyone. Many pro's and studios are still using 10 TDM because it is a much better workflow than Native or HDX Pro Tools. Unfortunately, the fact that 32 bit PT 10 has problems is not news to anyone.
Quite right. And aside from the problems - of which there are many on 12 as well - practically all new AAX plug-ins support 32bit. So the list of available plug-ins for 10 just keeps growing (and much faster than the list of AAX DSP plug-ins, too...).

HD7 Accel PCIe, Magma EB7 chassis
PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5
SSL Delta Link HD 160 I/O

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Not looking for bug fixes, just some suggestions or thoughts about the problem because a lot of software is still available as 32 bit.
I'd be wary of putting much stock in this point as more and more developers are dropping 32 bit support from their product.

QAPLA!
Old 11-30-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
FWIW Soundtoys Sie-Q is opening fine on my system, specs below. I don't have any of the other plugs you specifically mentioned but if there are others you're having the problem with list them and I will see if I have them. The only beachballing problems I've been having is when attempting to open audio suite plugs. I've not yet had time to sit down and try troubleshoot that issue yet as I've not been running this machine for very long and don't need audio suite frequently enough for it to be a showstopper for me.

OS 10.9.5, MacPro 5,1 12-core 3.06 GHz Westmere (2010), 32GB RAM, PT HD 10.3.10, HD3. All internal cards, no chassis.

Thanks for the info! I'll look at my plugins folder to see what other plugins might be causing a conflict. As I said though, I can open Sie-Q on smaller sessions, as well as Slate VMR. It's when the sessions get larger, close to 2.5 gigs on the activity manager, that the problem of loading these plugins rears it's head.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:04 PM

My problems start when the memory usage is 1.6GB but I have had a crash at 1.4GB with Precision Time Align. That's in a session with six or seven VI's (Battery 3 & 4) some of which are sitting idly.

In this particular session I am also getting out of CPU errors when doing things that have nothing to do with CPU usage like copying a TDM plug-in from one track to another.

PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 11-30-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm_xtk View Post
My problems start when the memory usage is 1.6GB but I have had a crash at 1.4GB with Precision Time Align. That's in a session with six or seven VI's (Battery 3 & 4) some of which are sitting idly.

In this particular session I am also getting out of CPU errors when doing things that have nothing to do with CPU usage like copying a TDM plug-in from one track to another.
The VI thing has been around for, unfortunately, a long time. Also, the random out of CPU messages were never fixed. Not sure if they were even fixed in the current version of Pro Tools. Could be wrong of course.
Old 11-30-2016, 04:25 PM

Just tried Sie-Q in a bigger session and it loaded. Maybe the newer version fixed that problem. Slate VMR still won't load in the larger session though. Why am I not surprised.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
The VI thing has been around for, unfortunately, a long time. Also, the random out of CPU messages were never fixed. Not sure if they were even fixed in the current version of Pro Tools. Could be wrong of course.
That's true. It's just that I have not been affected by them until now. Especially the CPU messages have not occured on my rig until now. The system was put together in spring of 2015. It feels as though s Pro Tools installation is a living thing which deteriorates over time.

PT 10.3.10 Mac OS 10.9.5

COCKOS REAPER (latest)
RME MADIFX (192 I/O)

ProControl (32 channel)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info! I'll look at my plugins folder to see what other plugins might be causing a conflict. As I said though, I can open Sie-Q on smaller sessions, as well as Slate VMR. It's when the sessions get larger, close to 2.5 gigs on the activity manager, that the problem of loading these plugins rears it's head.
TBH I'm surprised you can even get sessions to run at that sort of memory usage. I know theoretical maximum is supposed to be 4GB but my in own experience it gets very flaky with GUI glitches and crashes before you even hit 2GB. But I've been slaving most of my VIs out to VEPro for 5+ years now so I don't really have to think about memory very much any more, especially after they introduced disk cache which runs as a separate process. I tried firing up what I considered to be my biggest sessions yesterday to test this for you and I couldn't find anything using more than 1.5 GB.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicune View Post
TBH I'm surprised you can even get sessions to run at that sort of memory usage. I know theoretical maximum is supposed to be 4GB but my in own experience it gets very flaky with GUI glitches and crashes before you even hit 2GB. But I've been slaving most of my VIs out to VEPro for 5+ years now so I don't really have to think about memory very much any more, especially after they introduced disk cache which runs as a separate process. I tried firing up what I considered to be my biggest sessions yesterday to test this for you and I couldn't find anything using more than 1.5 GB.
Once again, thanks for the info and for trying that for me! Unfortunately I end up with big sessions all of the time. When we mix other people's stuff, especially Pop stuff, they get pretty darn big. I agree with the notion that Pro Tools might be a constantly evolving installation as has been stated. Getting a bit tired of the limited Delay Comp and Voices issue too. Oh well, could be that HDX is looming it's kinda ridiculous workaround head. If I make the leap, won't be too hard 'cause I already have the HDX card, I'll let you know what changes. Been stockpiling alternate plugins for awhile but there still aren't enough of them that are actually DSP to make the system work as a completely non Native system. I guess that that's just the state of the present day DAW world.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:37 AM

Yes many of us out here are feeling the pain of that looming decision.

Just out of curiosity - why are you leaning towards HDX rather than HDN (aside from the fact you already have the card!)