Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2014, 11:32 PM

Default pro tools 11 probz!

Upgraded to pro tools 11 a few months back and a few things are different/bothering me. Wondering if anyone has advice.

1. I used to use the old digi rack delay (no longer included) to widen background vocal tracks by putting it on the tracks insert and slightly delaying the left side while leaving the right without delay. When I would drag open a stereo plug in on a track like this, pro tools 8 would automatically make the track a stereo track and the effect worked well for me. Pt11 doesn't seem to react this way and leaves the track mono even when I drop a stereo plug in on it. Is that just how it is now? And what can I do to achieve that effect now?

2. Speaking of delay problems...air delay freezes on me sometimes and I have to close it and use a different delay. Air delay also doesn't copy my settings when I alt, drag to another track. Any fix?

3. Sometimes when I minimize my pro tools to see something on my desktop, pt gets stuck down on my Taskbar and won't reopen. I have to trick it into thinking I'm closing it and when the window pops up asking me to save, I cancel and it goes back to normal. Any fix?

4. In pro tools 8 I could select my bounce area and if I had to play the song from a certain point I could put the curser up over the time line and the pointer hand tool would appear allowing me to click and play from that part of the song without loosing my selection. Pt11 only allows me to select the bounce area. In order to click and play on the time line, I have to click the selector (blue down arrow thingies) and I loose my bounce selection. Help!

5. In pt8. I would create a New session and all the tracks would be full enabled elastic audio tracks. In 11 this doesn't happen. And when I turn on elastic on any track, it doesn't give me the time stretch options. Just pitch. What's up?

6. In pt8 I would always click file and save before closing a session. Save would then grey out and I'd select file close and be done with it. In 11, I file save then when I go to close, the window pops up and asks me to save again. Not a biggie...but bugs me for some reason.

New i7. Windows 7. Asus maximus board. 12 gigs ram. Solid state HD. Siig firewire. Recent updates and drivers.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:53 AM

Default Re: pro tools 11 probz!

I figure eventually I will find these answers myself. The answer to number 5 is that the elastic audio track must be set to ticks instead of samples.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:55 AM

The answer to number 3 is that there is a glitch with pro tools and I just have to live with the work around of tricking it into thinking I'm closing and then cancel.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:22 AM

#3 Does the hotkey to open your edit window make PT reappear (I think it's Command +)?

#6 Are you sure you're not touching anything between the first "save" and then hitting close? I feel like my PT11 doesn't prompt another save if I've recently hit Command-S ("save").
Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 AM

For issue #1, are you sending to an aux track that has delay plugin instantiated or are you putting the delay plugin right on the source track via inserts?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 PM

#1 when I look at my plug in list while inserting on a mono track my plug ins CLEARLY show Mono or Mono/Stereo.

If you elect a mono plug in then track stays mono.

elect the mono/Stereo and you are all good.

I use Mod Delay III Mono/Stereo to do stereoizing type things you mention.

not a pro tools problem.

the Dynamic Delay and Mulit Delay only have a mono option on a mono track. but putting anything that makes mono/stereo then you can chose the stereo version of those 2 plug ins

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:45 PM

Ditto what Shifted Music said. And if you send (by using your send points, not the output) the track to an aux track then you can send other tracks to that bus, thus tackling problem #2. Using the sends to bus tracks through an aux track saves you valuable DSP.

And another work-around, if you don't want to do the above, would be to fiddle around with the delay stereo effect until you get what you like on track A, save the setting, then import that setting when you put the same delay plugin on another track.