Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2009, 09:44 PM

Default Hackentosh computers and HD

Wondering if anyone has used, considered, or knows anything about some of these clones. Found this one in my search for a machine to run Leopard PT8 and my HD2 PCI rig. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150328460010
had a good line of talk in the listing. Just curious if anyone has tried these or should I run for cover.
thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Hackentosh computers and HD

WOW

if they could make one with 8 slots wouldn't that be something....

a quiet machine loaded for bear!

Old 04-01-2009, 06:14 AM

Considering the legal hurricane Apple is trying to bring down on clone manufacturers, and that HD systems are usually a source of income, I'd forget you even thought of considering it. Going for anything not Apple-approved on an Apple-centric system is begging for trouble. Especially if it's the computer itself...
Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 AM

I'm actually running a 'hackintosh' with a HD3 accel and it's running great. Though not the one listed on that auction.
I did it out of curiosity, but it ended being waaay more stable compared to XP, so now I run it as my main system.
btw I don't think the HD cards wil fit in the case from the auction.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drenkrom View Post
Considering the legal hurricane Apple is trying to bring down on clone manufacturers, and that HD systems are usually a source of income, I'd forget you even thought of considering it. Going for anything not Apple-approved on an Apple-centric system is begging for trouble. Especially if it's the computer itself...

time will tell

in these new times

more and more people will be coming out with ideas to save those who are looking to save and those seekers will find

it's an old thing called the law of supply and demand.

digi could learn from this if they want to prosper through these time cuz at some point people (customers) not feeling like they are held in high value
look for real feel good solutions not mere band aids to their needs

Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 AM

I think it's okay if someone went to one of those websites and put a system together for personal use but...for commercial exploiting by selling them on eBay, that's crossing the line of some sort....
Old 04-01-2009, 08:01 AM

It's April the first right?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Thanks everyone. My fear is that you need to get the Pooter right. Protools is pretty fussy about what it sees. At least that has been my experience. I like the fact that it is designed to run very quiet. Not too pricey as compared to the Mac counterpart. And less money. Perhaps a take off of what Sweetwater has done with it's creation station. I have been trying t get in touch with the builder of ebay to chat about a rig but getting no reply with contact info as of this posting.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:36 AM

You should check out the following thread....

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...highlight=efix

If it's your livelihood it doesn't make much sense to save a few thousand on the centerpiece of your workstation (that will last for several years) and loose all the certified support you may need. If on the other hand you are a small guy who's studio is mostly for yourself and you have a love to tinker..... .

-Lee
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 04-01-2009, 05:50 PM

Thanks Lee,
Haven't heard back from the vendor on ebay regarding the clones. may just go with a G5 but wondering if anyone wants to weigh in on what type of mac I should get. Have an HD2 rig that need PCI-PCIx slots. Want to run PT8 with my cards and aurora interface. I have heard that a Mac with enough under the hood can run my cards and PT8. Wondering though if I should get a Dual.....Dual Core...Quad Core? Should it be a 2.0- 2.3- 2.5- 2.7ghz. I don't want to under buy but don't want to over spend either. I do no MIDI. play it all and record it in real time. I also have a Dell 8400 running all of my soft synths. HD is just going to be a recorder/editor unless i get into PT8 and change my mind. I am graduating up from my Mix-plus sys. Any thoughts?