Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2020, 01:36 PM

Default Outputting Video To External Video Monitor

I'm taking a poll...How are you outputting video from Pro Tools to a normal 4k television? Is there a delay induced? The last time I worked like this was back in 2009 and there was special hardware required and you needed to compensate for the delay induced, particularly when scrubbing. Since then I've been using a computer monitor to display picture so I've been a bit out of the loop. What would be the most cost effective way to do this? Any information is appreciated!
Old 01-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Outputting Video To External Video Monitor

I am running an AJA io interface here. Works great, and is a lot more consistent than my experiences with Blackmagic Design stuff. Compensating for latency has been required, though I don't know if it has a whole lot to do with the AJA interface itself. The LG television I am using still has about 120ms of delay when running in low latency 'game mode'. My hunch is that most 4k televisions probably induce noticeable latency compared to a standard computer monitor. Trying to use a mouse on the LG makes me feel a little drunk!

Catchin Sync by Quiet Arts nails down the video offsets pretty quickly.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:32 PM

I just read that my new Mac Pro 2019 arriving tomorrow has two HDMI outputs, so I will be able to support both displays that I want to run. But the 120 ms lag has me concerned thats almost 3 frames and could potentially really jack mess with my workflow. How are you currently compensating for the delay? Does the delay compensation work while scrubbing?
Old 01-05-2020, 02:58 PM

Disregard I just found the setting:

To compensate for delays caused by video monitoring devices:
1 Choose Setup > Video Sync Offset.
2 In the Set Video Sync Offset dialog, enter a value in the QuickTime Video Offset field or Windows Media Video Offset field that is ap- propriate to compensate for the delay caused by your video monitor chain.