Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2016, 11:53 PM

Default PT10 migration from PC to Mac issues...

I'm trying to move Pro Tools 10 from my old PC over to a 2012 Mac Mini and all is well except one severe issue! HELP!

The issue being is IF I move a Windows PT session (with UAD plugins) over to my Mac PT the plugin settings are lost and go back to their default settings. My other plugins (Melodyne) and stock Avid ones actually do retain their settings, just not the UAD. I should mention in the original Windows session the plug ins were simply tweaked from the defaults, but never saved as new presets as it always recalls them anyway. It appears PT typically saves plug in data (unsaved changes from the default) inside the session file. I also tried to save the plugin settings *.tfx files in the PC and load them into the MAC, and they do display in the tabs and can be called up but don't actually change the settings at all from the defaults. Both computers are running drivers and OS systems know to be compatible and supported. It appears both Avid and UAD claim session compatibility between Windows and OS x on PT 12, 11, and 10.3.10 which I am running.

At this point it may be a bug or current limitation of UAD between dual platforms, or even something not right in my old PC install of PT?

Old PC System specs:
Intel PC quad core I7 system running Windows 7 SP1, with two SSD internal drives
Pro Tools Windows v10.3.10
UAD quad PCI card w/8.6.0 drivers
RME FF800 interface, latest drivers

Newer MAC system:
2012 Mac Mini quad core i7, w/dual Samsung SSD drives
Mountain Lion 10.8.5
Pro Tools Mac OS 10.3.10
UAD Octo Thunderbolt w/8.4.1 drivers
Same RME FF800 interface, latest drivers

More details later as to what I've tried, but have yet to make any progress.

Last edited by GKinTN; 09-15-2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:32 AM

Default Re: PT10 migration from PC to Mac issues...

have you tried to create a new session and import session data from the old file?
Old 09-15-2016, 02:07 AM

No. I've created empty sessions before then pulled audio tracks into them many times. That said, I'll try that tomorrow perhaps that is the more pure way to go about this!

I did trash the preferences many times, and also cleanly uninstall and reinstall both PT and the UAD system.
I also tried the UAD v8.6.1 (though not supported for Mountain Lion) and it seem to play and operate fine, but had no effect on the plugin settings being lost issue.

I just did a test where I tweaked the plugin settings on the MAC and moved the session over to the PC, basically trying it by migrating backwards. Same thing happens, my Waves plugins will retain their settings but the UAD plugins do not and go back to their defaults. So the setting data of the UAD doesn't go in either direction imbedded into the session file, though the Waves plugs ins (and also the stock Avid ones I tried in my first test) do retain their settings.

Last edited by GKinTN; 09-15-2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKinTN View Post
I just did a test where I tweaked the plugin settings on the MAC and moved the session over to the PC, basically trying it by migrating backwards. Same thing happens, my Waves plugins will retain their settings but the UAD plugins do not and go back to their defaults. So the setting data of the UAD doesn't go in either direction imbedded into the session file, though the Waves plugs ins (and also the stock Avid ones I tried in my first test) do retain their settings.
Perhaps you should ask UAD where they store their settings?
Old 09-15-2016, 10:52 AM

I talked with UAD and they told me Pro Tools stores the plug in data inside the session file.

I just tried creating a new session on my MAC, then importing the session file (that came from my PC) into it. That works (after linking the audio), except as before the UAD plugins loose their settings though the stock Avid ones retain theirs.

I'll give UAD another call today...
Old 09-22-2016, 12:16 PM

Well after trying several full clean reinstalls (down to reformating the drive) I gave up on the cross platform thing working with the UAD plugins with PT 10.3.10. It's supposed to work, but...

I then moved to Pro Tools 12.5.2 and all the UAD settings now translate from my old Windows Pro Tools sessions into my MAC MINI fine. Time to make music!