Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2009, 07:36 PM

Exclamation Re: WE WANT SOME ANSWERS: ProjectMix Fader Issue

No.....I don't lose sleep over this issue ,I've got a life.....hahahaha

Sori Ed if i sound like too much of a rant.....well....at this point I'm not hoping for anything anymore.....for a while, back in the M-Audio forum; there was a sliver of hope i felt cos the tech guys there are more helpful....not like here; where we're repeatedly given the cold shoulder for 2 yrs! I can understand the rationale for company priorities etc.....but to misleadingly sell you a piece of $1000 equipment only then to ditch you & leave you high & dry......this is not good biz measure & consumers can & should have a voice rather than jus take it in... I'm not gonna just go down w/o making a point! At the very least people are more aware.....what they do wif the info is up to them.....

Game plan is to sell PMix wif ProTools....heck might even throw in FW1814 as a sweetener & keep MIDI controllers & piano, BlackBox, these are more generic....... find another interface of reasonably good quality as my main axe, go to another DAW.

On a longer term note........reason why i m staying away from Digi & M-Audio...I'd assume what Peps posted has some bearing on whats happening, it makes sense......think about it; if M-Audio & DigiD cant get their shwit together what does the future hold for ProTools & M powered equipment??

Whatever the case..........keep groovin Edgar!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Default Re: WE WANT SOME ANSWERS: ProjectMix Fader Issue

The strength of all digi-related products is strictly the software at this point...five years ago the hardware was tops but the field has more than caught up and passed them in all categories (I'd argue a Duality is a more useful device than a D-Control, Metric Halo has a better realtime DSP interface, RME MADI cards offer more bulk throughput and better value, UAD-2 offers better-sounding plugin acceleration, etc.).

So if you can live with another software package...I unfortunately cannot...I have no idear why you'd bother with this company at all. Their grip on the standard session file format and their superior Audio DAW implementation is all that allows them to be this cocky and survive.

Ironically, the MBox 2 Micro gives you everything they are best at for $250. I would grab one of those just for editing and file interchange if I was leaving Pro Tools for good.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:24 PM

If you want to see how your project mix really works, try it with Logic Pro 8. I was absolutely amazed when I did. If you can deal with Logic's audio editing capabilites, it might be worth a look.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:48 PM

I've called Apple to troubleshoot Logic Bugs and they'll often tell you that they don't provide support for the interface you're using and it's too easy for them to point the finger somewhere else. And good luck getting their admins posting on the forums to your questions. It's frustrating when trying to get help and multiple companies come together then they commonly pass the buck. Actually, I dispise Apple in this regard. And their tech support is all over the map varying from awful to moderately OK

That's the thing I like about Digi is that they support the hardware and software and know it inside and out. This is also the reason other companies such as Black Lion Audio mod their hardware because BLA will openly tell you that the Digi drivers are some of the most stable out there and they don't want to mod gear that is based off unreliable drivers or software. Watch their videos on gearwire for Matt Newports comments about that.

Hate monoploys or don't (I personally love Google and some of the monopolies out there) But there is definitely a plus side to having it all under one roof. I'm very happy with my 003 and HD systems and LOVE the Pro Tools software since day 1.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM

I will agree that Digi offers the best support in the industry.

Having a closed system certainly helps them offer that.

Where it all goes wrong is their abuse of their priveleges of having the leading DAW as a closed system.

There are laws against such abuses, such as the Sherman Act. This states that they cannot leverage their monopoly in software DAWs, even if fairly won, toward creating a parallel monopoly in hardware controllers.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely, and while digidesign isn't a truly evil company, they are too comfortable with being hated in my opinion.

The company should just declare a month where the worst bugs that have lingered for years (including ADC in native pro tools) all get fixed before anything else is worked on.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortasalient View Post
If you want to see how your project mix really works, try it with Logic Pro 8. I was absolutely amazed when I did. If you can deal with Logic's audio editing capabilites, it might be worth a look.
Ditto.

I use Logic 8.02 with my PJ Mix day in and out and i absolutely love my
setup. It runs rock solid. No issues whatsoever with the display and Logic
always cleans up after itself when I close out a session. I still use PT
every once in a while too.

It's obvious they don't want too much competition even under the Avid
umbrella. They wouldn't want it to compete with the 003. I'm not
surprised to find that the jog/shuttle wheel doesn't work on the PJ Mix
in PTMP,but it does work on the 003 in LE. Go figure.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflash View Post
Ditto.

I use Logic 8.02 with my PJ Mix day in and out and i absolutely love my
setup. It runs rock solid. No issues whatsoever with the display and Logic
always cleans up after itself when I close out a session. I still use PT
every once in a while too.
That's really good to know...if the PMix works well wif Logic 8 then I'd wanna keep it & just sell ProTools wif FW1814. Tell me more SkyFlash....what abt the faders, do the faders mark track level positions correctly??
Old 02-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Exclamation Re: WE WANT SOME ANSWERS: ProjectMix Fader Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflash View Post

It's obvious they don't want too much competition even under the Avid
umbrella. They wouldn't want it to compete with the 003. I'm not
surprised to find that the jog/shuttle wheel doesn't work on the PJ Mix
in PTMP,but it does work on the 003 in LE. Go figure.

This is why i wana reiterate my earlier point in this thread.....I believe what PepperTree posted here (refer to earlier post on "M-Audio & DigiD....civil war within Avid" pg 2 of this thread) makes a lot of sense; what you posted above just goes to affirm that. The other thing that's troubling about the M-Audio/ProTools combi is what's mentioned in the M-Audio forum....for complete story check the links i posted on pg 1, I'll just quote the portion with replies from the staff that was attending to my query.....

Quote1
<<found some bugs related to this in our tracking system which are pretty old. Unfortunately the majority of the work on the PJM I/O was done by an outside engineering firm that's no longer around. Our engineers have the original code but it would take a very long time to familiarize themselves with it enough to fix things. They also worry that making any changes would have adverse affects since the code isn't well written.

To make a long story short, we aren't going to be diving into the PJM I/O code to fix these bugs unless a major show stopper appears.>>

Quote2
<<Hey guys, I wanted to clarify my earlier post. The specif issues you are having with the PJM HUI mode and Pro Tools is a bug in the HUI support of Pro Tools not in the PJM. HUI support in Pro Tools has been tricky over the years and something seems to break with almost every major PT release>>

On a longer term note, if you use M-Audio gear with ProTools you would be confronted with these ??s:-

-if M-Audio & DigiD cant get their shwit together what does the future hold for ProTools & M powered equipment??

-along with this pt. with each revision of ProTools i cant help wondering what other cumulative problems will crop up...
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 PM

Driver 1.9 on OSX 10.5.8, driver dated 13 Nov 2009 - installed and the faders and the channel strip clear upon close of file in PT. Thanks, 3 year problem removed. Very good.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:33 AM

that's good to hear^^
going to try it
thx