Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Default Re: What is everybody with PT12 using for a Midi Keyboard Controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
After my Keystation 49 died I had to find a replacement asap with the resources I had at the moment so I bought an Akai MPKmini. I still have it and it works fine, it has 8 drum pads, 8 rotary knobs and since I'm mostly a guitarist 2 octaves are enough 50% of the time...
BUT
the modulation and pitch bend are conjoined in a single lever that works like an X/Y pad and that's a mess. Also, the config software is hard to use and Akai offers almost no tutorials, etc.
Amagras, I know what you mean about having a single lever when two wheels would more than do! The M3 Korg is the same way. However, I'm usually don't use the control. On the other hand, it has an interesting ribbon that could be useful when you go gently. Otherwise, it makes zipper sounds in the background.
Thanks
Fred
Old 10-02-2018, 03:20 PM

Studiologic Acuna 88 here.

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacov View Post
Studiologic Acuna 88 here.

Looks like a nice Fatar keybed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmant View Post
Looks like a nice Fatar keybed.

Yes, it feels and works great, just a little on the noisy side (keybed I mean). SL88 Studio uses a revised version, with 3 contacts and better damped, and cheaper ....

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 10-02-2018, 07:01 PM

Just a MAudio Keystation MINI32 for the quick and dirty stuff. An ancient Casio Privia PX 300 for the full, 88 weighted keys piano type stuff.

Been looking for an excuse to upgrade either one or both but haven't found one yet, it just works fine as is.

Not a synth guy though, just virtual Grand, Rhodes, Wurli, Hammond and Mellotron for me..!

T

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 10-02-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy-T View Post
Just a MAudio Keystation MINI32 for the quick and dirty stuff. An ancient Casio Privia PX 300 for the full, 88 weighted keys piano type stuff.

Been looking for an excuse to upgrade either one or both but haven't found one yet, it just works fine as is.

Not a synth guy though, just virtual Grand, Rhodes, Wurli, Hammond and Mellotron for me..!

T

Muddy-T,

I love the Air Velvet electric piano and DB-33 organs myself. You can really get great sounds from them with a little tweaking. I like to add a little drive to a Wurlitzer 200A. I wish my pedals had could control the DB-33 the way I want. That is frustrating. Want to control both rotary speed and break. Could never figure out how, and partly why I am looking for a new controller!
Fred

Old 10-02-2018, 08:33 PM

Fred,

I agree, Velvet is just great. Got that one crazy cheap on sale.

I assume you know you can adjust Fast/Slow/Break settings in the Cabinet window of the DB-33.

Not the expert here but I suppose there must be some way to map these to some MIDI controller?

At my place of work I (still) use a DIGI 003. Any plugin parameters can be controlled in real time with the rotary encoders (or faders in flip-mode) on the 003. I'll have to check if that works for the cabinet settings of the DB-33.

I've never bothered to change the default settings, I just try to hit the modulation wheel/button in a more or less musically fitting way.

At work I have a Yamaha MO8 keyboard, I'll have to check how the modulation wheel affects the speed-up/slow-down of the DB-33.

T

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1

Last edited by Muddy-T; 10-02-2018 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 10-03-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy-T View Post
Fred,

I agree, Velvet is just great. Got that one crazy cheap on sale.

I assume you know you can adjust Fast/Slow/Break settings in the Cabinet window of the DB-33.

Not the expert here but I suppose there must be some way to map these to some MIDI controller?

At my place of work I (still) use a DIGI 003. Any plugin parameters can be controlled in real time with the rotary encoders (or faders in flip-mode) on the 003. I'll have to check if that works for the cabinet settings of the DB-33.

I've never bothered to change the default settings, I just try to hit the modulation wheel/button in a more or less musically fitting way.

At work I have a Yamaha MO8 keyboard, I'll have to check how the modulation wheel affects the speed-up/slow-down of the DB-33.

T

Thanks Muddy-T. I was trying to get my expression pedal to do the same as mid wheel does, but I can only go slow to break or fast to break. I can swing it thru the whole cycle. I believe the mod wheel does work though and makes sense. I just like to be able to do it with my feet so I don’t have to let go a chord.

Also with Velvet, the foot pedal can control the wah function in the FX section but I can only seem to make it move from 2 o’clock to 5 o’clock- not the full range 7 o’clock to 5 o’clock. Haha, I hope you’re old enough to know what that means. In amp volume terms I mean I can go from seven to ten, not one to ten.

Fred

Old 10-03-2018, 11:29 AM

Akai MPK249 but I use only for midi note input I don't (or have not yet) used it for any DAW control

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmant View Post
Haha, I hope you’re old enough to know what that means.

Fred
Oh I'm old enough Fred. I'm so old I forgot what that means...

Never used a wah on a Rhodes or a Wurli, real or virtual. Always had one in my pedalboard though.

It seems the speed control (slo/fast/break) on the DB is just a three position switch. No continuous control with the mod wheel on the MO8 or the rotary encoders of the 003.

Still think it should be possible to map the cabinet controls (slo speed/fast speed/spin up/down speed) to some sort of MIDI controller but, again, not my area of expertise.

T