Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2000, 05:28 AM

Default 5.0.1 beta dissappearing regions

You got my $199.00 or $300.00 Canadian
now your taking my sound files too. I think its related to the audiosuite. I've only been using protools for three weeks. I would appreciate some help. Tech support told me there "might " be a new beta DAE on the cd but there isn't just 5.01. Other people have reported the same problem on your website but no response. Should my work around be to go back to Sonic Solutions?
Old 09-15-2000, 09:46 AM

Default Re: 5.0.1 beta dissappearing regions

in the beta software folder? on the CD there is a ProTools V5.0.1 cs1. You should try that, AFAIK this fixes that problem.

Just copy the application, no installer.

jim
Old 09-17-2000, 06:01 PM

Thank you for the response Jim. What I mean by 5.0.1 beta is indeed 5.0.1 cs. I switched to it when I started losing regions. The same problem occurs in 5.0.1 cs. I have been using it for the last few days. The only work around seems to be to bounce to disk anything crossfaded with an audiosuite effected file. This as you can imagine is not a good way to work but the show must go on and I hope someone has an answer. Thank you for your response they are very much appreciated
Old 09-18-2000, 06:56 PM

5.0.1cs didn't fix the problem for me either. Actually, I started experiencing random crashes, so I went back to 5.0.1. This bug's gotta be one of the worst offenders I've ever encountered. I would have appreciated more consideration to this one.

Also, as Digi warned, 5.0.1cs is a beta build, as it was packed at the last minute, so, no warranty.

------------------
Marco Marinangeli
Magelic Productions, Inc.
Compression Records http://www.compressionrecords.com
http://www.compressionrecords.com
Old 09-18-2000, 07:11 PM

If this is any help, the problem I ran into was when I would audiosuite something containing several regions and fade files - in "region by region" instead of "continuous" mode set on the A/S plug in.

You'd reopen, and lose stuff.

Use the continuous mode when doing A/S processing with fades. I almost never use the "region by region" mode anyway.

dc
Old 09-18-2000, 08:33 PM

The bug works as follows: If you use an audiosuite application on a sound file and crossfade it with another, a warning may appear which states there isn't enough audio to complete the fade. It then asks if you would like for PT to adjust the fade for you. If you say yes 80% of the time a region and fade will go missing upon reopening th session. The only work around is to bounce to disk or never say yes to PT adjusting the fade for you. This bug does exist PT has known about it for 6 months now. A fellow editor told me how it happens and said he had protools tech walk through it with him on the phone 6 months ago and still hasn't fixed it. Unfortunately I had to figure it out for myself.
Old 09-19-2000, 03:05 PM
Avid

Look at Jim Longo's post a few up from the bottom of this thread: http://www.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/003568.html

Is that how your losing fades when you re-open a session?

Also, keep in mind that if you AS-process a file you essentially have no underlying audio. So when PT asks you to adjust the selection boundaries to make a fade and you say yes.... you've just told it to adjust that boundary to 0 since you have no underlying audio. No fade is created.

-Bryan
Old 09-20-2000, 05:21 AM

When I say "yes" to create a fade it does draw a x fade but it draws it entirely on the AS region using the "handle" from the other region. Then upon saving and reopening the AS region is gone.
Old 09-20-2000, 08:58 AM
Avid

I still can't reproduce this. Here are the steps I'm doing, please tell me if I'm missing something.

1) Create a new session, record 2 audio files on a track.

2) Process one with audiosuite

3) trim in the edges of the other and using shuffle mode, butt it up against the AS-processed region.

4) using the selector tool, make a selection across the region boundary and hit cmd-F to bring up the fades dialog.

5) make a fade, hit yes when it asks you to adjust the boundaries.

The result is like you said, I have a region with a crossfade from somewhere inside it, to the outer edge. The only underlying data being used is from the trimmed region the AS one is butted up against.

6) save, close, open.

Results- regions and crossfade are all in place. I've tried this two ways, with the AS-processed region being first, and last.

-bryan
Old 09-20-2000, 05:17 PM

Bryan, This is a tricky one because I've tried to duplicate it by copy pasting a forward reverse loop. Going through all the steps as above but it doesn't happen all the time. I've had four Protools users tell me of the same tricky bug. It doesn't happen everytime. I cut an entire session of ADR and was missing about 10 regions out of maybe 500. But all region that went missing where AS regions. I wish I could give you more info. But if you try a session with many varieties of reverse sound file or the time trimmer tool and fading so the flag comes up you should experience some of the missing segments. Sorry about the run on sentence I'm too tired to edit Thank you for your concern