Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2018, 10:01 AM

Default Conflict between Pro Tools and Cakewalk Sonar

Hi all,
there is a strange thing going on.
when I launch a project in Cakewalk Sonar (either "old" version or "new" by Bandlab), the DAW shuts down before I can really do something.
Then I have a pop up telling me something about an unforeseen error which caused Cakewalk to shut down.
Up to here, you might say I am wrong in this forum.
Please see the screenshot, then you'll change your mind.
I notice that the causing file is a core file for AVID applications, so I better do not mess around with it.
Strange is that I NEVER run ProTools and Cakewalk simultaneously.
But they share some plugins (which have, for ProTools, .AAX, and for Cakewalk, .VST).
I have contacted of course both Cakewalk support and AVID support, but might not have an answer before Monday evening.
I saw there is a thread with complaints that ProTools Ultimate 2018.4 (which I am running without problems) was crashing upon launch. Since this does not seem to be the case with my system, the cause for the issue must be somewhere else.
Please, I'd love so much to have both DAWs on one computer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cakewalk Crash.jpg (53.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2018, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Conflict between ProTools and Cakewalk Sonar

Any chance you could post the message in English or tell us what it says?

A WAG (wild assed guess) is see if your iLok s/w is up to date.

A couple of questions: can you open a Sonar session right after booting up the computer? IOW before you open a PT session? Are you running in Admin mode?

QAPLA!
Old 07-07-2018, 02:04 PM

Ok first: If I run Sonar in Admin mode, there is no issue. And I started the project right after booting.
But see what happened after updatin iLok app.
The iLok application needed an update. I will do that, but I have to reboot after uninstalling the old version.
After installing the current iLok app, and rebooting again, I tried to open the Cakewalk project as I usually did - not as admin. Cakewalk crashed, with the same Pro Tools CFnd.dll as cause for the crash.

The main thing in the screenshot I had already explained. After telling me that a severe error had occcurred that caused Cakewalk to shut down, the message is telling me where the mini dump file had been saved to.
The question in the end is, if the last status of the project should be saved.
OK I'll reboot now to have the new iLok app installed.

Now I will try again to run Cakewalk as admin, to see what will happen now.
Yes, I'll have to run it as admin, it seems.
Not I will cross-check what the Cakewalk people answer in their forum.
But thanks a lot, at least I can continue my project. Great!

Last edited by Wire57; 07-07-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire57 View Post
Ok first: If I run Sonar in Admin mode, there is no issue. And I started the project right after booting.
But see what happened after updatin iLok app.
The iLok application needed an update. I will do that, but I have to reboot after uninstalling the old version.
After installing the current iLok app, and rebooting again, I tried to open the Cakewalk project as I usually did - not as admin. Cakewalk crashed, with the same Pro Tools CFnd.dll as cause for the crash.

The main thing in the screenshot I had already explained. After telling me that a severe error had occcurred that caused Cakewalk to shut down, the message is telling me where the mini dump file had been saved to.
The question in the end is, if the last status of the project should be saved.
OK I'll reboot now to have the new iLok app installed.

Now I will try again to run Cakewalk as admin, to see what will happen now.
Yes, I'll have to run it as admin, it seems.
Not I will cross-check what the Cakewalk people answer in their forum.
But thanks a lot, at least I can continue my project. Great!
So it looks like you'll have to run as admin which shouldn't be a problem as a lot of programs require one to do so.

As far as the error message you got unless it's in English there's a lot of us who might be able to help but can't because of the language barrier. There may be little things that get messed up in translation.

QAPLA!
Old 07-07-2018, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Conflict between Pro Tools and Cakewalk Sonar

How could I change the language of that pop up? I am happy that my version of Cakewalk is with "German language skin".

At Cakewalk forums they reported the error is not unknown, it happens also to users of Cubase. Weird: One suspect is Apples Quicktime for Windows. I tried out by deinstalling all Apple related components from my PC, but after reboot the thing happened again after "default launch" of the project. The crash took a little more time to occur.
Well, I had sent in the mini dumps to both Cakewalk and AVID support and wait what they might say about it.
Of course I shall report here.
Thankx for your patience and interest.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:33 PM

I don't think anyone is asking you to change the language of the pop-up. It would just be helpful if you provided a rough translation so the non-German speakers can understand what the error message means. All I can discern is that you are getting an error message that references CFnd.dll.

Is it saying that it can't find CFnd.dll? If so, can you check the PATH statement in the Windows Environment Variables? Maybe something changed there?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Also, sorry if this was already mentioned, but have you confirmed that the file is actually located in the path that the error message provides? Do the dates for the file indicate that it was changed recently? Maybe there is a version conflict regarding this file.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:24 PM

Ok I'll try to translate that pop up as close as possible. Sorry I do not remember all the informatics terminology.

A fatal error has occurred.

Module: C:\Program files\Avid\Pro Tools\CFnd.dll

A mini dump file for the crash has been created at location:
C:\Users\Werner\App Data\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR\....
Exception code: c0000005
Address: OOOOOOOOOB 675 F 5 A: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:0000000000000065 [Note: I am not sure about the O and the 0 here.]

For this reason SONAR is being terminated untimely.
Shall SONAR try to save a backup file of your work?

Yes I found the mini dump exactly where located by the script.
In the given folder there are about a dozen (!) recent mini dump files.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:05 PM

I just received an analysis of some MINIDUMPS from a developer at Cakewalk.
Here is his result and a suggestion how to solve this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk
Here is what I got from the dumps you sent (thanks):

Unhandled exception at 0x000000000ABE5F5A (CFnd.dll) in Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.
This means the DLL is accessing a null pointer.

The crash occurs on a thread from CFnd.dll so the crash is not in response from a direct call from Cakewalk.
15824 0 Worker Thread ntdll.dll thread CFnd.dll!000000000abe5f5a

I'm pretty sure that this is directly in response to the digiasio.dll being loaded because CFnd.dll is loaded soon after digiasio.dll is loaded when Cakewalk starts up. The reason the DLL is loaded is because they are exposing this as a standard ASIO DLL. If they don't want it loaded they shouldn't be exposing an ASIO device for public consumption :)

Below is the logged info I get from the dump. You can see that the digiasio.dll gets loaded first and several other Pro tools dll's then load as a result. Finally shortly afterwards it crashes in CFnd.dll. This is something only Avid can look into since I don't have any further info.

BTW you have another ASIO dll being loaded ctasio64.dll. This looks like something from Creative labs. I probably has no bearing but its best to uninstall it if you aren't using it.

'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*c:\Windows\System32\digiasio.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\DirectIO.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\DSI.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\DigiPlatformSupport.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\DHS.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\CFnd.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\IPHLPAPI.DLL'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\mpr.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\msi.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded 'C:\Windows\System32\dbghelp.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Windows\System32\urlmon.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Windows\System32\iertutil.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\AFnd.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\DFW.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\Avicuuc42.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\Avicuin42.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\DFW_KeyHook.dll'. No matching binary found.
'Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp' (Minidump): Loaded '*C:\Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools\Avicudt42.dll'. Module was built without symbols.

Unhandled exception at 0x000000000ABE5F5A (CFnd.dll) in Silkroad_07082018_070006.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

I bet renaming digiasio.dll will mask the problem.
Searching my PC for that file, i found 2 of them with identical name but different ages (one of 2015, the other one from April 2018), and in different locations.
I deleted the older one and first tried to open ProTools, and a session there. No problem encountered.
Now I opened Cakewalk, NOZ as admin, - - - NO PROBLEMS ANYMORE! Yay!
But I shall watch this....

Last edited by Wire57; 07-10-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So it looks like you'll have to run as admin which shouldn't be a problem as a lot of programs require one to do so.

As far as the error message you got unless it's in English there's a lot of us who might be able to help but can't because of the language barrier. There may be little things that get messed up in translation.
Posted a rough translation by now, and a nice statement of what the Cakewalk people found in the last mini dump files.
Maybe we are going to solve this soon?