Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Default The Composers for the Netflix Hit Show "Stranger Things"

My wife and daughter recently talked me into watching "Stranger Things" on Netflix. I have to say, I really, really like the show. One of things that I liked off the bat was the music score. The show is set in the 80's, so there's plenty of 80's music.

I came across this video in which the two composers, Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein, discuss how they do the score and show off some of their gear. What I really liked seeing was how they were using some of the older analog gear such an ARP2600 or a SC Prophet 5, as well as others. It really does give the show a more authentic sense of time and place. Anyways, I thought some of you might find this interesting.

And if you haven't seen the show: I highly recommend it.

Old 11-13-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Re: The Composers for the Netflix Hit Show "Stranger Things"

Check out wayward pines! Awesome in every way! Love that Stranger Things will be back for a 4th season! Best tv news this fall

And I agree about the synths. We have the real ones aswell. Prophet 5 v.3.3; Roland Jupiter 8, Korg Mono/Poly, Juno 60 and 106 and Minimoog, Minimoog Voyager and Memory Moog and many more. I have saved all of these as I bought them 15-18 years ago for a fraction of what people sell them for today and I sampled many sounds so all of them are LIKE NEW for real.

The VI emulations doesn’t come close .. sorry but it is as true as the sun will come up tomorrow

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-14-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Check out wayward pines! Awesome in every way! Love that Stranger Things will be back for a 4th season! Best tv news this fall

And I agree about the synths. We have the real ones as well. Prophet 5 v.3.3; Roland Jupiter 8, Korg Mono/Poly, Juno 60 and 106 and Minimoog, Minimoog Voyager and Memory Moog and many more. I have saved all of these as I bought them 15-18 years ago for a fraction of what people sell them for today and I sampled many sounds so all of them are LIKE NEW for real.

The VI emulations doesn’t come close .. sorry but it is as true as the sun will come up tomorrow
Had a Korg Mono/Poly years ago and donated it to one of the local theatre groups. Do you still have that Prophet 10?

QAPLA!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Had a Korg Mono/Poly years ago and donated it to one of the local theatre groups. Do you still have that Prophet 10?
I have all the analog synths left but it is a Prophet 5 sorry. And versoon number 3,3 which is the most stable and has real midi and sounds INSANELY GREAT!

We had Prophet 10 years ago but sold it as it’s just 2 Prophet 5’s on top of eachother basically so went with other synths. We got a small fortune for the P10 and all our hardware is MINT and I love them like children (dont have any real children)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-14-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I have all the analog synths left but it is a Prophet 5 sorry. And versoon number 3,3 which is the most stable and has real midi and sounds INSANELY GREAT!

We had Prophet 10 years ago but sold it as it’s just 2 Prophet 5’s on top of eachother basically so went with other synths. We got a small fortune for the P10 and all our hardware is MINT and I love them like children (dont have any real children)
No children either; cats but no children.
Those Prophet 10's also had an overheating problem IIRC. UVI released a soundbank of a P10 but it's just samples and you really don't have access to the Prophet engine sadly. I have the Arturia P5 but it just seems to be missing the weight the hardware did.

QAPLA!
Old 11-14-2019, 04:20 PM

I have a Roland W-30 Workstation that cost around $2K in the late 80's. Now I just use it as a Midi controller. It did have lots of pretty good "patches", especially the bass guitar ones. I don't know if the Diskettes still are readable, but I have a ton of them.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Hey, I learned synthesis on a Moog and an ARP2600. My first analog was a SIEL DK600, which I still have. Also a Korg DW8000. The DK is, unfortunately, dying. It was cool to see all that old gear in the studio these guys use for the soundtrack. There were a few glimpses of their DAW on the screen in the background, but I couldn't quite tell what it was. It looks like it might be Logic Pro? Not sure. Maybe FL Studios.

Old 11-15-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Hey, I learned synthesis on a Moog and an ARP2600. My first analog was a SIEL DK600, which I still have. Also a Korg DW8000. The DK is, unfortunately, dying. It was cool to see all that old gear in the studio these guys use for the soundtrack. There were a few glimpses of their DAW on the screen in the background, but I couldn't quite tell what it was. It looks like it might be Logic Pro? Not sure. Maybe FL Studios.
If you want to see some old hardware that gets used from time to time I suggest taking a look at Tom Holkenberg's YouTube page under Junkie XL. He's got one wall that's almost nothing but Moog Modular stuff as well as some other modular pieces. Not to mention some keyboards that many might no know about.

And in the spirit of this thread he did quite a bit of work for the Terminator Dark Fate movie as well as Deadpool Oh yeah - he uses Cubase.

QAPLA!
Old 11-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I have a Roland W-30 Workstation that cost around $2K in the late 80's. Now I just use it as a Midi controller. It did have lots of pretty good "patches", especially the bass guitar ones. I don't know if the Diskettes still are readable, but I have a ton of them.

If those old diskettes are readable, you might think about transferring all that data over to something else.