Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2015, 05:15 AM

Default "wall of sound" with delay (avid venue)

hello everyone !!!
The situation is this: we are on the stage of a theater of medium size and indoors, the arrangement of the ensemble consists of two files, the rear where there are to the
left a string quartet, at the center an accordion and on the right the percussions, in the front row two classical guitars amplified with microphones now: the front row is two meters and 50 from the rear row (so just as an example). The Question: to give the feeling that the sound arrive simultaneously i'll give a different delays of x ms to microphones of the rows so the sounds(delayed) of the back row and front comes "simultaneously" to the public through the sound system, but this delay that I gave will it go to the monitors (aux) of the musicians ?? how can i avoid that this delay come through the monitors ??? I unfortunately do not have a digital mixer, so I ask to you.
thanks and sorry for my English
I am attaching a picture of the Venue channel strip and the delay in question

Last edited by Pachanka; 04-05-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:27 PM

Default Re: "wall of sound" with delay (avid venue)

In this situation, where you mix the monitors and FOH from the same (digital) desk you split the signal between two channels, giving two channels the same input. From the first channel you mix your FOH and from the second you mix the monitors. That way you can separate the processing needed for these different tasks. Often people split the channels so that one layer stays for FOH and the other one for monitor tasks. Some people split only the critical channels.

Delay is critical in monitoring situations and even relatively low latency plugins used on a channel can create enough latency for some artists to feel uncomfortable. Obviously all the other digital equipment add to the sum of the delay created (digital wireless, digital speaker/monitor controllers, digital in-ear monitoring)