Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2014, 12:24 PM

Default Problems recognizing Wireless Headset

Anyone know how to configure ProTools to send Boom Track audio to send output to my Wireless Headset?

It works fine in Mac Outside of ProTools
In works fine inside of Protools, using the Boom Instrument editor.

It works when I add an Instrument using Expand, but when I PLAY the track outside of Boom no audio is heard. I've tried every output.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:58 PM

Default Problems recognizing Wireless Headset

Ah how about some useful details like what exact wireless headset, what interface are you using in Pro Tools and what Pro Tools version. Does this work as you expect with any other output? Or are you having problems just with the headphone? Post a screenshot of your Pro Tools Edit window showing the track inserts and IO selectors.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Problems recognizing Wireless Headset

It's listed as Wireless Stereo Headset in Mac | Preferences | Sound

It's worked before so I know it's compatible. Pro Tools config is very complex and non-user friendly.

I know this because this was working previously and ProTools has always been problematic. (USB Wireless Headset, USB MIC, Midi Config). I also have Logic which recognizes all my devices. So I know it's simply a matter of configuring Pro Tools in the 3 different config screens.

I have a very basic setup. USB Only, Midi connected via USB.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:46 PM

So the playback engine selected is "Stereo headset", I'm not sure why you are showing us the aggregate IO setup page? Are you selecting aggregate IO for the playback engine or selecting the headphones?

I'll ask this another way. Are you intending to record any analog or digital audio inputs (and I don't mean record MIDI I mean audio)? Or are you just wanting to record MIDI from the keyboard and play via a VI to your headphones?

Guessing the later is what you want to do. Deselect the headphone from the aggregate IO device, and don't touch that again, its not used. Select the headphone in the Pro Tools playback engine. Then go to Setup>IO and click on the default button for the input, output and bus pages. There will be no inputs (that is expected). Then go the the output selectors for the track and master fader and set that to whatever it shows for the headphone (should be the only entry). If stuck post the screenshots of the edit window again similar to before as well as the IO>Setup pages (input, output and bus).

Pro Tools setup like this will always seem a mess until you crack open the Pro Tools Reference Guide and read up on these things.

Still I wanted the exact model headset you have.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:02 PM

You've gotten a lot closer.

It's a Sony Entertainment Wireless Stereo Headset
Model CECHYA-0080

By following your directions (and a little guesswork) it's working. I still couldn't get the drums to play. But when I deleted the Boom track and re-created it - it worked. I selected the same OUTPUT as another Instrument that worked - but it still wouldn't play sound from the track (while the Boom editor continued to work). But I recreated the Boom track and it worked immediately.

This headset has a mic, but it's poor quality so I don't care if it works or not.

Thanks for your help. I just wish I could *lock the settings* so they don't every change. **Ever**.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjbs View Post
You've gotten a lot closer.

It's a Sony Entertainment Wireless Stereo Headset
Model CECHYA-0080

By following your directions (and a little guesswork) it's working. I still couldn't get the drums to play. But when I deleted the Boom track and re-created it - it worked. I selected the same OUTPUT as another Instrument that worked - but it still wouldn't play sound from the track (while the Boom editor continued to work). But I recreated the Boom track and it worked immediately.

This headset has a mic, but it's poor quality so I don't care if it works or not.

Thanks for your help. I just wish I could *lock the settings* so they don't every change. **Ever**.
This is a headset from a PS3 gaming system and not guaranteed to work on every PC with a USB connector. See page 6 and 7 of the manual for the headset. It's a wonder that it even works on a Mac. And that may be part of the problem - PT isn't seeing it all the time. Using an aggregate device as you seem to be using doesn't help either. I'd suggest trying what you're doing with a real headset or monitor speakers just using the Mac's built-in audio I/O for now and see if that helps.

QAPLA!