Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 PM

Unhappy The one and only thread for the white noise plese

Ok guys lets get a handle on this, I need folks to post what interfaces and clocks being used.

I have found that when this White noise happens I can fix it without re booting or restarting the PT Application.
I go to hardware set up and deselect the clock source from Internal and select wordclock then re select internal. On the left there where it says clock source.

then its ok for a while, 10 min or 25 min. No set time yet I can see.

I for the heack of it put my Big Ben in the loop, Still the same issues.

I note that when the Noise happens the units still show locked and stable.
So it seems as though PT is letting go of the internal self clock at random.

Please no rants in this thread just specs of clocking and interfacing.
I've lost one NS10 tweeter now and a couple a great tracks do to this.
Arggg!

This happens in 44.1 - 88.2 - 96 - and 192

My interfaces are two linx16's with the HD cards. recent firmware..
I have two Digi cables running from my Core HD Accell and accell cards to the two Lixs cards.

One more thing, Is there a place in the ap that shows internal lock or not locked state?

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Default Re: The one and only thread for the white noise plese

Bump, Come on white noise folks i have digi looking into a session and log file. Lets get some config info please.

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 PM

I am using m-powered so I can"t can"t control my clock from PT.
I was recording guitar track overdubs last night . To be comp'd later I did maybe 25 or 30, 45 sec leads in a row. The session only has maybe 24 tracks at most.
Well all of a sudden BAM!! white noise burst. I looked up and got an error about the hard drive not keeping up. But it went away very fast so I couldn't read it fast enough. After that, during playback I got random noise bursts. Different tracks at different times, but nothing was printed to track.
My HDD light was going nuts. the session was ready and all waveforms were calculated etc. and still no go.

In my (I said MY) experience it's what I believe to be an issue with my HD's, SATA and eSATA, eSATA being the worst.

I use WD caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM, and 2 Caviar blue 320G 7200 RPM drives.

My computer info is below.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:04 PM

I had this issue when using an external firewire drive formatted as NTFS. I now record to my system drive (I know, I'm not supposed to) and have never had an issue. I've heard this is due to fragmented NTFS drives. Have you tried to defrag?

Mark
Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames08 View Post
I had this issue when using an external firewire drive formatted as NTFS. I now record to my system drive (I know, I'm not supposed to) and have never had an issue. I've heard this is due to fragmented NTFS drives. Have you tried to defrag?

Mark
Digi, recommends not defragging, they recommend move the files off then back on the drive. But yes I've defragged, moved files. As of last night I narrowed it down to this. When I copied the session folder to another drive I started getting the white noise very bad, and printed to track. Although it wasn't showing in the wave form. I use, sata, esata, fw400 drives. tried them all. I noticed this only when a session folder is somehow interupted, an maybe fragmented. Interesting.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:56 AM

I suspected clock issues from the beginning. Changing all RAM, all drives (WD Black) and adding a TI F/W controller fixed this issue. I still have distortion at lower buffer settings and with VI usage.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com