Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-07-2002, 07:48 AM

Default USD disapears from peripherals

We have a continuing problem where the USD doesn't stay selected/assigned in new sessions. It will be fine for a number of weeks (open new session and USD is already selected as synchronizer) then you open a new sesion and the USD doesn't come up unless you select it, after that it will work fine for a while again. I keep telling our engineers to check it but it keeps getting missed and audio recorded with the wrong sample rate clock. I have tried trashing prefs but the problems continues to peak its head up.

Anyone have ideas??

our system:
Mix+
3-888/24
USD
3 18gig Digidrives
1 ADS pyrodrive Firewire with removeable IDE bay
[email protected]
Old 05-07-2002, 08:09 AM

Default Re: USD disapears from peripherals

I'm sure you're aware, but the synchronization peripheral gets reset to generic MTC reader if you trash the protools preference. So, if your engineers are routinely doing that (which is very common), they should make sure they reset the peripherals when they restart the system. The only other thing I could think of would be the port. If you're using the digi-serial port on your mix core, everything should be kosher. I have seen a similar problem though when using a modem or printer port configured thru OMS. I hope this helps. Good luck!!
Old 05-07-2002, 08:28 AM

Thanks Shawn,
Our engineers aren't trashing prefs and we are using the Digiserial port.
[email protected]
Old 05-07-2002, 09:26 AM

We have the same problem, on some systems it occurs more frequently than others. In our case it is not from trashing preferences, I am the only one who maintains the rooms, and the first thing I do after trashing preferences is start up a session and reset the prefs. Sometimes it will change somewhere between closing one session and opening another. I've even seen it happen in the time it takes the video machine to cue to the next layback.

We have 2 9600's, 2 AGP G4-400's, and a G4-687. The 687 is running OS 9.2.1, the others OS 9.1. All are running 5.1.1 with AV option. All of the machines have plenty of RAM.

So, what could it be? Is there a USD firmware revision that I don't have? All of our machines have 5.02. Help! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2002, 09:40 AM

unreliable cable? try swapping it out.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:37 AM

It is NOT a cable problem. If it were there would be a "can't communicate with USD" error message. There never is, it just stops being the selected Synchronization device.
[email protected]
Old 05-07-2002, 01:01 PM

your not crazy, i have the same problem.
i've never trashed my prefs. you just start up one morning and you have "generic". it seems to hapen when i am enabling and disabling machine control alot...but that's just a guess. if you figure it out let us know
Old 05-07-2002, 01:23 PM

We aren't using machine control. Other than locking to SMPTE on occasion we are just using Pro Tools on its own. Hey DIGI any ideas? I have talked to tech support at Sweetwater and to our regional product spec. and no answers so far.
[email protected]
Old 05-07-2002, 03:23 PM
Avid

Just the other day, we saw a case where a USD was communicating reliably with Pro Tools, but would fail when attempting a firmware update. Swapping in a new cable resolved the problem...worth a try if you haven't already.

It could also be a corrupt OMS setup taking control of one or more serial ports. Try trashing the OMS Current State preference in System Folder > OMS Folder and creating a new setup.

Jordan