Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 06:38 AM

Default Known Extension conflicts!

Does anyone know of any extenstions that are known to cause PT systems to crash?

Mine keeps crashing (total freeze with no way out but to restart) HAS HAPPENED EVEN IN RECORD
Old 06-05-2001, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Known Extension conflicts!

Get Conflict Catcher. It replaces (and becomes) your Extension Manager and runs through tests of your extensions to find conflicts.

Pain is, you have to restart your computer like 10 times, but it works.

FWIW...I noticed a conflict with my Apple Audio Extension, Software Update, and Speech Manager. So, I disabled them (I use the Digidesign Control Panel and pump everything through my monitors, so I don't need the Apple Audio Extension) and I'm OK now.

[This message has been edited by RobbaDobba (edited June 05, 2001).]

Rig: MacBook Pro (15,1) 6-Core i7 2.6GHz / 32GB RAM / OS 13.5.2 / PT 2023.9 / Waves Horizon v14 / iZotope Music Production Suite 4.1 / Focusrite Clarett 4pre USB / Apple SSD AP1024M 1 TB (System), Samsung T5 SSD 1 TB (Audio) / Cal-Digit TS3 Plus TB3 Dock / Genelec 1030A Monitors
Old 06-05-2001, 08:39 AM

Dan L,

I had a similar problem a while ago. Used Conflict Catcher and it still was freezing up, not to mention the mulitple reboots was a pain in the butt.
I don't know what other programs you are running but, I partitioned my startup drive with only Pro Tools stuff on one partiotion. Then I put all other application and internet stuff on the other. Since then everthing works great.

duffy
Old 06-06-2001, 04:43 AM

I know of serious problems when the preferences in the OMS setup are wrongly set. Disable serial dma driver , reporting bufferoverruns and "turn appletalk back on...". My experience in this is that propably these wrong preferences cause freezes,procontrol conflicts ( strange enough because PCntrl does not handle mididata...) and also recordings are made until the very maximum recordallocation installed in the PT prefs. Have a look in OMS setup prefs and uncheck everything but " turn of appletalk if it is enabled..."

[This message has been edited by Mano (edited June 06, 2001).]
Old 06-06-2001, 02:08 PM

I was having similar problems when I had pared the number of extensions back from the base set. Are you starting with just the Apple Base Extension set, adding the digi drivers and then running? This works great for me under OS 9.04.
Old 06-07-2001, 02:06 AM

Thanks for everyone's replys,

BTW I'm running a 350mHz G4 with OS 9.1 and 320mb with a mix+ system

I'm a bit worried/paranoid about putting conflict catcher on my machine,unless someone convinces me it's safe!

RobbaDobba,
Software Update + Speech manager were both disabled,apple audio wasn't but now it is!
I'll see if there's an improvement.

Duffy, Great idea, but because of these types of situations I've disabled all internet stuff ,I've also removed the modem, Just in case. And as for other programs, I only run toast,Logic Audio + Pro Tools, tho' obviously not at the same time!

Mano,
I can't find anything that says 'turn off appletalk if it is enabled...'
the only box checked in OMS prefs is
'when appletalk is on ask about turning it off' is that the one U meant.

Thanks all and I'll let U'll know if it improves.
Dan L
Old 06-07-2001, 04:15 AM

You're right about the OMS prefs !
Sorry for any confusion. I always work on memory with these things. What I wrote means the same .
One more MAYBE hint, disable the ... scheduler extension ( also don't know this one precisely ), this can also be a nasty mother...

[This message has been edited by Mano (edited June 07, 2001).]
Old 06-07-2001, 11:29 AM

Dan L

Wow, seems like you have a nasty bug somewhere. I would deauthorize and uninstall everything. Intialize your drive, do a custom install of 9.1 and only PT required extensions, then reload everything. This is exactly what I did and everything works great. Plus I did the partition thing and now using internet, photoshop, quark and many other apps. without worrying about messing with the PT world. If you wish, I will email you a list of PT world extensions that I use.
It might take me a little while to find the time to do it however.

duffy
Old 06-10-2001, 12:18 AM

Your crash problem, Sure you have the digi breakout box cable firmly seated?