Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2020, 03:19 AM

Default Autotune clicks, pops, bangs

I've read countless posts about this over the years, but never an actual solution or reason (other than people thinking it's to do with buffer size and cpu overloading, which it absolutely isn't).

I use Autotune a lot. With vocals it pretty much just works in auto-mode and I leave it alone (I find the "graph" mode slow and a bit crap sounding to be honest).

With instruments however it's a total joke, and it's getting worse. This has been the case since AT5, but I'm using "pro" right now and it's all over the place. Now I understand that with all the natural ringing harmonics of a multi-stringed instrument, a piece of software is going to tune something incorrectly sometimes - that's just fine - but the clicks? Why? Multiple computers, different OS's, different AT versions, three separate decades.. Same old rubbish.

Now to be fair, brass instruments? Pretty solid. Wind instruments? Pretty solid. But put a violin through it? Forget it. You have to babysit it all the way. I wish they'd add a separate "stringed instrument" option..

Why else is still in this little hell? I don't want to use another piece of software, because this is so quick and invisible 99% of the time, but my god does it piss me off!
Old 12-31-2020, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Autotune clicks, pops, bangs

Not to mention, in graphical mode, AutoTune Pro now causes insane DC offsets and huge bangs if you move a curve a little bit... And if you re-scan a section and fix up the tuning data (because you have edited the underlying audio), the plug-in often becomes so messed up with DC bangs, denormals, and corrupted data, that it makes the ProTools session unplayable - with no recourse but to delete the plug-in (along with the many hours of work inside) and start from scratch.

This is what happens when you take on a bunch of new VC money, try to use a cheapo licensing scheme (CodeMeter as opposed to Pace), and squeeze the $4it out of the company for ROI to shareholders... This, quite honestly, is the story of American capitalism embodied in a small company. Same with Avid, same with Gibson, same with Guitar Centre, etc... Everybody wants to cash out and run away with their $$ rather than run a legitimate company with a long-term strategy... Sorry - rant over...

Cheers, eh?