Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Default DAE error -6085 brings Pro Tools 9 to a halt...please help Avid.

I have done everything to get rid of this problem but nothing works, the only thing that does work is to not use my MBox Pro 3. If I only use my mac pro as the playback hardware with PT 9.0.2 I don't get the error, if I do get one Pro Tools will continue to work. If I get the -6085 error with the M Box Pro connected to my mac pro the session then refuses to play back audio until I reset the hardware or reboot the computer and relaunch pro tools, it does not however lock up the computer or pro tools just playback doesn't work. I have been through the mill with this. Any thoughts are welcome. It seems to be FireWire related. I only have the MBox connected to the rear port on my Mac Pro nothing else is connected.

I have removed all non standard plugins as a test all plugins are up to date
Still happens.

Set up a separate user account just for PT still happens.

Deleted digi data bases and prefs etc still happens.

Have all the recommended settings the way they should be on my mac still happens.

I am going to install a clean system on another drive and install PT 9 and then boot off it and see if it still happens then. I have never had issues like this with pro tools on my system ever. My old 002 was rock solid with PT 8.0.3
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM

Default Re: DAE error -6085 brings Pro Tools 9 to a halt...please help Avid.

Need more info.

RAM, OS version, computer. Did you go through all the troubleshooting procedures?

Did you change anything else besides installing PT 9?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM

OSX 10.6.6, 12 gigs of ram, Mac Pro 2008 8 core. Yes i have and so did the Avid repairs rep. I have tried all the settings etc that are recommended by Avid.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Delete PT.
Install the newest drivers
install PT 9, then upgrade to 9.0.2
repair permissions

Also, some have found a loose connector inside the Mbox 3. Since you say it works without the Mbox, it may be the cause of the error.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM

I cloned my system from my mac mini which had PT 8.0.3 on it and then booted my mac pro from the clone and opened a session that I always get the dreaded -6085 and so far it has been rock solid. I launched mail app, used the screen saver, all those things that would cause the error and then the drive to lock up and it never did. Even if I did not do those things it would have eventually error and I would have to reboot. But with the cloned system it was rock solid like I used to remember.

Conclusion is my Mac Pro is not the problem but my main system drive may be. The thought of rebuilding my system from scratch makes me feel ill and is many days of work. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

Next Test I will install PT 9.0.2 to my new cloned system and see if it works as well as 8.0.4. If it does then I will reinstall PT 9 on my main systm drive and if that fails I will reinstall it all.
Dang it, could be the MBox pro is not to blame here. I wish I new what the hell was causing the problem. I never had the issue with my older setup 002 and PT 8.0.4 the only change to my setup was the mbox pro and pt 9. If PT 9 errors after the install to the clone system then I will know it's the combo of 9 and the MBox pro or if it's something in my main system drive that is causing the -6085
Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Well after a week of testing, actually months I have found that there is something in my Mac Pros system drive that is causing the -6805 DAE error problem not the mbox pro 3. I cloned a system drive from my mac mini, installed it into my mac pro and booted off it. First I used PT 8 with no issues running one of my problematic sessions, then updated to PT 9.0.2, it too is solid. So my system is to blame or something went wrong when I updated to 9 from 8. What it is I still don't know and most likely never will.
As a last ditch attempt I am going to install PT 9 from scratch on the Mac Pros boot drive that has the issues, perhaps that will fix it, if not I will do a full OS install from scratch and all my apps etc on a new drive.

I feel I owe Avid an apology as I have been off the mark blaming the mbox pro which does have some bugs that they have yet to be fix, like the low latency monitoring issue and meters not showing clipping on playback in prefader meter mode, but now I can say with certainty that it is not the mbox pro that was causing the -6805 DAE error. It was something with my system all along. I will report back after I reinstall PT 9 and see if that resolves it. Something I should have tried a while ago.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 PM

Default I SOLVED IT!! DAE error -6085 brings Pro Tools 9 to a halt...please help Avid.

Avid states don't use the screen saver in their recommended settings for the mac when using Pro Tools amongst many other internal settings for your mac and PT to work together, but in PT8 I can use the screen saver and I might get an error while I was playing a session but it never brought Pro Tools to a complete halt. In PT9 I hit play and then I get the DAE error -6085, hit play a few more times, the error would keep popping up then the session wouldn't play at all until a full reboot. I was not using the screen saver during my sessions but it was set to be able to turn it on via a hot corner. With PT9 and the Mbox Pro I have found that you cannot have the screen saver set to a hot corner or use it at all before after or during while using Pro Tools 9. If I do I get the -6085 error and eventually PT9 chokes. I tested the MBox Pro with PT 8.0.4 and it would error if I ran the screen saver but only sometimes if I did it during session playback but then PT 8 would continue working. With PT9 it errors and then a full reboot is needed not even a restart would clear the issue. So to make a very long story in my case short, Don't use the screen saver at all with PT 9, PT 8 was never an issue PT9 it's certain death of playback and your sanity!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:31 PM

Default Re: I SOLVED IT!! DAE error -6085 brings Pro Tools 9 to a halt...please help Avid.

You had my hopes up, but I just turned off my screen saver and I'm still getting the 6085 Error. I've tried these tests:

If I run a session completely from the internal drive, using the MBox Pro 3's audio outs, it runs rock solid.

If I run a session from my external firewire drive but use the computer's "Built In Output" (under "Setup" Playback Engine") it's rock solid, even with the MBox Pro turned on and plugged into the firewire chain. (Computer > External Hard Drive > MBox Pro.)

BUT! When I try to use both the External Drive AND the MBox Pro, I consistently crash and get the 6085 Error. So it's clearly some kind of clash on the Firewire buss.

I'm going to try getting one of those Thunderbolt External Hard Drives and see if that solves the problem, since that will hopefully leave the MBox Pro by itself on the FireWire Buss. I'll post if that works.
It's crazy that AVID isn't on top of this problem, which people have apparently been having since 2009 at least!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM

When I had the MBox pro, it definitely needed to be first the FW chain-

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Re: I SOLVED IT!! DAE error -6085 brings Pro Tools 9 to a halt...please help Avid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickymix View Post
You had my hopes up, but I just turned off my screen saver and I'm still getting the 6085 Error. I've tried these tests:

If I run a session completely from the internal drive, using the MBox Pro 3's audio outs, it runs rock solid.

If I run a session from my external firewire drive but use the computer's "Built In Output" (under "Setup" Playback Engine") it's rock solid, even with the MBox Pro turned on and plugged into the firewire chain. (Computer > External Hard Drive > MBox Pro.)

BUT! When I try to use both the External Drive AND the MBox Pro, I consistently crash and get the 6085 Error. So it's clearly some kind of clash on the Firewire buss.

I'm going to try getting one of those Thunderbolt External Hard Drives and see if that solves the problem, since that will hopefully leave the MBox Pro by itself on the FireWire Buss. I'll post if that works.
It's crazy that AVID isn't on top of this problem, which people have apparently been having since 2009 at least!
I have a similar issue. I do sound for games and picture and need both my firewire drive for SFX source and my M Box at the same time. They are connected to different ports but I continually get this error.

I thought it might be remedied by a driver update but no luck. At least I am not the only one with this issue.