Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Default importing video from DVD

I recorded a new score to a classic silent movie. The composer has asked me to sych the music to the movie (the score was recorded “live” ie during a showing of the movie, so I don’t think syching is going to be a big problem- right now I am just trying to get the movie into PT).

I have never done this, but I thought it was a good chance to learn. She gave me the DVD and I am trying to import the video to a PT HD7.3 session. Not having much luck. The DVD contains .VOB, .BUP and .IFO files (I know what these files are, just wanted to be clear that these are the only files on the DVD). Attempts to import directly from the DVD yield a "invlaid video media file" message.

How do I import the video from the DVD into a PT session (or point me toward where I can learn how).

Thank you.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: importing video from DVD

Hi,

I do this relatively regularly for music editting. You need to purchase a DVD ripper programme. Something that can rip the dvd and transcode it to a readable format for quicktime. You can rip it to Mpeg 1 or Mpeg 4. I have been using mpeg4 for a year or so now. You end up with very small files (about 700meg/hr) instead of about 10gig/hr DV-AVI. The load on the computer doesn't seem to much. Once you have extracted the mpeg4, you can just "import audio from quicktime" to get any sound on the video.

Unfortunately, some of these programmes can be a little tempremental and not always successful.

You can try these http://www.imtoo.com or http://www.cucusoft.com

You don't necessarily need the full suites, you can get away with purchasing the DVD to ipod versions. It will export it to an mpeg4 files just as well. Just make sure you select the correct framerate for the resulting file!

Ghengis
HD2 PCI, 96 I/O, Command-8
Win7x64
Old 10-06-2007, 05:42 AM

Default Re: importing video from DVD

Try THIS . It converts almost anything to a format Pro Tools can read and import. If you have the space on a separate drive (S-ATA the better) I'd go with DV AVI, less heavy on the CPU to decompress, high quality picture.

Hope this helps

L.G.