Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM

Cool Re: black lion 003+ mod

I'd be interested in seeing the video also.
txs
bcntrble
Mac OSX 10.5.8
Old 09-18-2009, 07:14 AM

Default Re: black lion 003+ mod

I'm a pro user of Digi HD accel in studio and for on-location I choose 003 R+.
Sound great for me. I know very well that there are a lot of better pre, better ADA, but for quality/price and compatibility, this interface is cool.

I recorded Richard Galliano in Paris. I bought a 003 R, putted in the luggage with mics, and a MacBook Pro with Waves Gold bundle.

I recorded and mix in the box during the recording, just to have a reference of what we recorded: at the end, the work sound amazing that producers and Richard done the final master with the rough mix!!!!!!!!!

8 tracks at 96 kHz/24 bit, clean and really 3D sound! Incredible for me and more for clients!!!

003 R+rocks!!!

ciao
Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezriel View Post
Hey Basslik,
i've been researching the 003 mod and i'm pretty close to finishing exactly what I need to do the whole mod. I have a few holes to fill though. Can you put me in contact with the guy that you said is working on the mod video? Maybe we can collaborate and get the mod details for everyone. thanks!
Sorry iI was away for awhile?, I know he's in Germany and I'm not at liberty to do anything at this point. What I don't understand from this guy is that he never returns any emails. ???????????
Old 09-18-2009, 07:39 PM

Ok, thanks. Well, as soon as you do hear something let me know. Just in case anyone has any thoughts; I know what they do for the analog stages, as well as what they do to upgrade and decouple the A/D converters. Unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I would still recommend purchasing their External Microclock since there is no way of upgrading the internal clock in the 003+ unit. If anyone would like to collaborate on info about the specific components, I would appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:04 AM

Word clock in 192 is the same as in the 003?.... (scratching head). I have a focusrite 828 >25 pin conn>rosetta 800>toslink cable>003 rack. I've been doing some analog recording (through the 828) but have mainly been focusing on the software. Getting to the point of doing some live micing "recording" and have raised some questions which I've been researching to find answers to.
From sales reps wiring schematic, all this time I've had BNC cable from word clock of rosetta to 003 word clock and setting the clock source in PT to word clock( haven't heard anything funky but...).
From reading this week (correct me if I'm wrong) it seems that the 003 gets it's word clock signal from the toslink cable, the PT clock source is to be set to optical, and the BNC cable is not needed.
So now I'm reading around about word clock and jitter and I read about the quality of digi's clocks and converters and how apogees are a bit more hyped and I may have wasted my money getting it.(However, I would have still needed it or some other piece of equipment to get the 8 ins from the focusrite 828...right?)
I'm using the rosetta as my clock source (8 mics in)(even if I'm not recording) but I'm not using toslink back into the rosetta for audio out(monitoring). I'm using spidf out of the 003 for monitoring. After audio is in, should I turn off rosetta and change clock source to internal and use the 003(clocks the same as the 192 right)?
Also. With what I have, what should (could) I get to get another 8 mic inputs into my system while still using the 828(I guess with the rosetta and it's clock source)? I too have been thinking about getting the Black Lion Mod(and was going to schedule for an appointment ) (for a yr or so now) but after reading around this forum I highly doubt it.

Thanks,
R
Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 PM

well, first of all, if you have a a Rosetta 800, I would use the clock source from the rosetta, and you can do that via toslink. If you're looking for an extra 8 channels, I would look at another 8 channel preamp. There's tons to look at but it depends on your budget. If you have the money and the 003+ I would go ahead and get the 003 modded by BLA, and that would take care of another 8 channels of "pro level" pres built in. Also the 003 is more similar to the 96IO than the 192. The downfall of the 003 is the analog path and clock source. The Converters are actually pretty good though for the what it is.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Sorry iI was away for awhile?, I know he's in Germany and I'm not at liberty to do anything at this point. What I don't understand from this guy is that he never returns any emails. ???????????
No Luck Huh ?????
Old 10-21-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamtime View Post

I can´t sign everything you say but int the whole I´m with you!

Get perspective! If you dramatically want to improve your sound, get MONITORS worth the name! There is so many other things that enhances the soundquality more.

I have so many extremely bad mixed albums from MEGASTUDIOS in my shelf, mixes that PT and a 002R easily would beat if the hands behind it does the job.

I said it before, it´s about differentiating. If everyone got the BLA done for free, then the same people would go another way to be different and a little bit better.

I´m sorry if I hurt anyones feelings, just my opinion.
Nice post. The key to a decent mix are decent monitors. I am working on a CD using a stock 002R (see equipment list below). It sounds great. The band decided to go to Nashville and record some tracks for the CD also. Multi-million dollar BIG NAME studio.. the Neve console alone originally cost in the high six figures. PT HD3 system.. apogee clocks... vintage mics that we'd all die for, the whole nine yards. So, they brought the tracks back. They sound ok. Just ok. In fact, they kind of suck.... there's a hum from a compressor on the drum buss. They didn't hear it in Nashville. They were so blown away by the room, the studio and the toys. I soloed the drums.. boom. 60Hz crap all over the place. Kick drum was so wimpy they had to do the sig.gen/gate trick to give it punch.
Guitars did sound good (Coles mics on them)... however, bottom line is what I've said for almost 30 years - learn how to mic an instrument, keep the signal path clean, and make sure you're hearing what's going to tape/disc accurately.
It's very easy to get caught up in the clock issue, and 10 years ago, an external clock would have made a big difference. Today, not so much. Lavry is absolutely correct when he says that nothing beats the internal clock in a device. Phase shifts and time differentials in the transmission lines alone between the devices using that clock destroy any advantage you may have started with. The same is true of the $3000 speaker cables that some 'audiophiles' buy for their home systems. Who's going to admit that they dropped $3k on 50 feet of wire and it didn't make a difference? Of course, there's a good chance that a quality mic cable will make a difference over the 10 cables for $20 deal that you get at some outlets, but recognize that there is definitely a point of diminishing returns on this stuff.
The real reason to use an external clock is with multiple devices that have to be synched together (like 4-5 a/d-d/a converters etc), but if you're using an 002 or an 003, you'll not hear the difference.
Bottom line: Use clean mics, a decent preamp, keep the signal chain clean, and good mic techniques are all you need. Everything else is window dressing and gravy.

Your results may vary.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 AM

yes the pre is importent but there are many other factors
Old 10-26-2009, 06:12 AM

Hi guys. Haven't posted in a long time...anyway...here we go.

I'm waiting for my 003R to come (I got it off ebay for a reasonable price after I sold my 002R). My main purpose was to keep my setup a bit more "current" or updated...as the 002R is going to be dropped really soon (or is already out?).
I mix with this project studio setup: 003R, RME ADI8AE, Dangerous 2Buss LT, some hardware comps and revs. I got pretty decent results even with the 002R, so what should I expect when I'll plug the 003R in the system? I'summing OTB on the Dangerous using the 8 DA in the RME and the 8 in the Digi. Then print my mix on 2 spare PR tracks (using the RME AD which also serves as master clock).
Does the 003 have better DA converters than the 002R?
Please, don't talk me about BLA mods, as I'm not interested in it for a number of reasons...

Thanx

L.G.