Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 05-02-2019, 04:54 AM

Default VEPro 7 is now out

VEPro 7 dropped today and is available in one's MyVSL for those that pre-ordered it. See this post on the VSL forum: https://www.vsl.co.at/community/post...o-7#post284193
And for those that haven't upgraded the intro price is still viable at the product page here: https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Software/Vienna_Ensemble_Pro but I don't know for how long. I do know that Paul from VSL has said it would be good for a while after the release of VEPro 7 but he didn't say for how long.

Keep in mid that VEPro 7 only comes with ONE license asset versus the three we got with VEPro 6. You have to purchase those separately and they are available at an intro discount price as well. 'Tis a pity VSL did this but it's their game.

QAPLA!
Old 05-02-2019, 06:56 AM

Default Re: VEPro 7 is now out

Mac users be aware of a major issue: we no longer have the ability to use both 32 and 64 bit servers. Windows users still have that ability but not us Mac people.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2019, 10:15 AM

have you installed yet? i have it in myVSL, but am waiting on the sidelines until i feel it's solid enough to upgrade. i think VSL have already made several updates since release...

Old 05-04-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer49 View Post
have you installed yet? i have it in myVSL, but am waiting on the sidelines until i feel it's solid enough to upgrade. i think VSL have already made several updates since release...

I installed it and that's how I found out about it not supporting 32 bit in OSX. Got in touch with sales at Vienna and a refund is in the works. If it doesn't support both 32 & 64 bit in OSX along with issues like Kontakt 5 hanging on recalling a .vesp file I don't want it on my system. Couple that with the fact it overwrites a VEPro 6 install And apparently from what I've read on another forum (vi-control) a number of people are having validation issues with VEPro 7 puking on plugins that passed validation in VEPro 6.

QAPLA!
Old 05-04-2019, 02:30 PM

well, that's enough to keep me from installing. thanks for the info!

Last edited by fixxer49; 05-04-2019 at 02:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-04-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:

It's true, they have. I had 4 issues on day one. Not only had they fixed them all by tea time the following day, they added an entirely new feature after my suggestion, which personally is more important to me than any of the features on release. Drag and drop is now introducted in the Automation Window, which allows for auto-incrementing a midi channel or controller number using keyboard modifiers.

Initially I was a little nonplussed, but the speed of all that - 24 hours including sleep presumably - boggles my mind. That really has made a massive difference when working with big templates. Suddenly automating enable / disable channel just got massively easier, which is itself a revolutionary workflow. And is if that's not enough, they plan to issue Wake On Midi as an update at some stage - just play a note to enable the channel in VE Pro.

An essential update for anyone who uses any kind of automation with VE Pro, and I'd urge anyone using large numbers of VIs to take a look at working with a disabled VE Pro 7 template. Lightning fast load times, save times and your RAM will go 10 times further.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-04-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
It's true, they have. I had 4 issues on day one. Not only had they fixed them all by tea time the following day, they added an entirely new feature after my suggestion, which personally is more important to me than any of the features on release. Drag and drop is now introducted in the Automation Window, which allows for auto-incrementing a midi channel or controller number using keyboard modifiers.

Initially I was a little nonplussed, but the speed of all that - 24 hours including sleep presumably - boggles my mind. That really has made a massive difference when working with big templates. Suddenly automating enable / disable channel just got massively easier, which is itself a revolutionary workflow. And is if that's not enough, they plan to issue Wake On Midi as an update at some stage - just play a note to enable the channel in VE Pro.

An essential update for anyone who uses any kind of automation with VE Pro, and I'd urge anyone using large numbers of VIs to take a look at working with a disabled VE Pro 7 template. Lightning fast load times, save times and your RAM will go 10 times further.
Thanks, Guy! Lots of good info here. I must say, I am really excited about the save times.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Guy! Lots of good info here. I must say, I am really excited about the save times.
The key to it is to work decoupled, though I understand save times working coupled have improved in 7.

By offloading all the heft into VEP disabled, it means DAW project files are really small, load / save times are really fast and you just have to wait typically a very few seconds each time you play a new instrument for the first time. That trade off is easily worth multiple slave computers to me. I have 64gb of RAM, but if I loaded my entire template even purged it would take double the RAM, likely more. Yet in the 6 months I've been working this way I rarely go above 20gb in VE Pro for a real world project. I have the Enable commands mapped to a keyswitch, and have them set at bar 3 for every active track in my template, so I can load them on a re-launch in one hit.

Kinda ironic that VEP was the reason why working with slaves became relatively simple and encouraged their use, but it has now developed to the point where it has made them obsolete.

There are other nice changes in 7 btw, especially the working with tabbed side bars - much clearer to see what's happening and I really appreciate getting some height back (many Kontakt instruments now have such huge UIs that they barely fitted in one VEP window in 1920x1080).

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 05-05-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
The key to it is to work decoupled, though I understand save times working coupled have improved in 7.

By offloading all the heft into VEP disabled, it means DAW project files are really small, load / save times are really fast and you just have to wait typically a very few seconds each time you play a new instrument for the first time. That trade off is easily worth multiple slave computers to me. I have 64gb of RAM, but if I loaded my entire template even purged it would take double the RAM, likely more. Yet in the 6 months I've been working this way I rarely go above 20gb in VE Pro for a real world project. I have the Enable commands mapped to a keyswitch, and have them set at bar 3 for every active track in my template, so I can load them on a re-launch in one hit.

Kinda ironic that VEP was the reason why working with slaves became relatively simple and encouraged their use, but it has now developed to the point where it has made them obsolete.

There are other nice changes in 7 btw, especially the working with tabbed side bars - much clearer to see what's happening and I really appreciate getting some height back (many Kontakt instruments now have such huge UIs that they barely fitted in one VEP window in 1920x1080).
Are you having any issues recalling .vesp files in VEPro 7 that have Kontakt instruments? Also are you using Kontakt 5 (latest version) or Kontakt 6? I see you're on Windows and I'm on a Mac so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Every time I tried recalling a .vesp file that had Kontakt in it it hung with an error message of 'working with cache files' or some such. I'm running K5.8x - have no use for K6.

I have a support case in with NI on this. It's interesting that they (NI) changed their support system from an email based deal to something close to a forum post type of thing. I've interacted with NI's tech support before and they are spectacularly dumb when it comes to PT.

Any problems with plugins not passing validation?

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2019, 01:15 PM

No problems with Kontakt 5 or 6 here in W10 Pro. I did on the first build have an issue with VEP not recognising UVI Workstation, but that seems to be resolved in Friday's build.

If its only an issue in VEP7 re Kontakt, definitely try VSL support too, they seem very on the case at the moment. NI are notoriously slow to support.

Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM