Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 08:38 AM

Default Music Bed vs Voice Over is there a metered level they should be apart?

I've been mixing music for over 16 years and am just now starting to get into mixing for post and am curious if there's a desired dynamic range (metered goal) between commercial voice overs and the music bed. Thanks!
Luker[at]acaciarecording[dot]com
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Music Bed vs Voice Over is there a metered level they should be apart?

No. It all depends on the voice and the music. A number won't do it, you'll have to use your ears.

-R

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Music Bed vs Voice Over is there a metered level they should be apart?

yeah its an ear thing, you just have to feel out whats right... although if you are doing commercial work where the VO is loud and up to about -12 or -10 then starting with the music at about -22 to -18 is a good place... but its all relative and depends on the context, the voice, the music, the style of show/commercial....
Old 01-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for all your input! I mixed a spot yesterday and the clients happy but the film company sent me a message this morning wondering if the music bed is too loud. When referencing the mix on auratones, NS10's and studio mains at low volumes the narration is very easy to hear. I was just wondering if anyone had a guide beyond opinion... How does the loudness war effect post work for TV. Are there volume standards that I should be concerned with? I know there's a bunch of format things I need learn. Thanks in advance!
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 01-22-2010, 12:38 PM

Welcome to the world of commercial mixing. Everyone has an opinion, and usually their opinion is better than the audio pro. It is a real dance most of the time and until your client is really comfortable with you it's all about compromising.
Imdb
Facebook
Old 01-22-2010, 03:07 PM

I guess I had second thoughts and wanted to check in since it's only the second time I've mixed for picture... the film company called tonight and asked me to disregard they're earlier level question. There already talking about the next thing they need mixed so alls good. Thanks!
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 01-22-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acacia View Post
I guess I had second thoughts and wanted to check in since it's only the second time I've mixed for picture... the film company called tonight and asked me to disregard they're earlier level question. There already talking about the next thing they need mixed so alls good. Thanks!
You already know how to mix--just do it so it sounds good to you. Make sure your room is in cal. If you are mixing for TV then, as you know, you must get the peak level/dialnorm spec from the network etc you are delivering to and include that info in your mix technique.

Philip Perkins
Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM

Thanks philper!
Studio 301-703-0035
Old 01-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

When I switched from music to post years ago, I found myself mixing the music louder than how the fellow mixers were doing. It's the instinct of music engineer to get a tight balance, for commercials however, VO is gold.
Do this: After you mix and you think it's a comfy balance, pull the music down by 3db. Have a listen again. That probably is what the other people want to hear.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app
Old 01-23-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks for the advice Mundoz! I'll give that a shot. Mixing for picture is definitely gonna take some deprograming... As a freelancer Im going to continue working on both sides of the fence so your tip is great! Thanks.
Studio 301-703-0035