How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Creating a send to a reverb

Hi all,

In order to save on cpu I'm trying have a single reverb on an aux track, and then use sends on individual tracks that I want to use that reverb.

A problem that I'm having is that if I want to automate a tracks volume to suddenly go to 0, the reverb continues on. This doesn't happen if I have the reverb added to a track as an insert instead.

I've tried changing the send to "pre fader" but it still happens. Maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Creating a send to a reverb

Effects sends are typically post-fader. This means that as you change the level of that track fader, the amount being sent to the effect changes too.

Don't confuse changing the level of the effect send with changing the level of the effect return. When an effect is inserted on a track and you automate the track fader, you're changing the level of that track after the return from the effect is mixed in. When you automate the track fader with a post-fader send, you're changing the level of the send to the effect. If you want to kill the effect abruptly, you need to automate the fader/mute of the effect track, or you automate the effect send/mute sooner so the effect dies out by the time you want the track out.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-12-2020, 01:32 AM

Thanks for the explanation

So it seems like compromises have to be made sometimes, like if the reverb on the effects track is currently receiving an input from lots of tracks then it might not be an option to automate the mute of the effects track. So as you say in that case the best option is to simply mute the send a bit earlier.

Or possibly have 2 or 3 reverb tracks to deal with different situations?
Old 05-12-2020, 02:14 AM

Yes, two or three will normally do the trick. Or four or five... And it's of course still less hassle/resource hungry than one on every audio track
Old 05-13-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercreature View Post
Thanks for the explanation

So it seems like compromises have to be made sometimes, like if the reverb on the effects track is currently receiving an input from lots of tracks then it might not be an option to automate the mute of the effects track. So as you say in that case the best option is to simply mute the send a bit earlier.

Or possibly have 2 or 3 reverb tracks to deal with different situations?

This is a totally standard way of setting a mix up (sends post fader to multiple reverbs/fx) - if you need the sound of the reverb coming to a dead stop rather than decaying naturally, you'll need to either automate the reverb return fader or else insert the reverb directly on the instrument's plug in chain.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 05-13-2020, 08:40 AM

Automating the send level is another handy thing to do. Especially in the case of sending something like a vocal to a long echo when you only want one word to repeat.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave