Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 11-07-2019, 06:45 PM

Default Any suggestions for a reliable inexpensive interface for Pro Tools Win 10?

I'm looking to replace my Mbox Pro 3 with a similar quality interface (or smaller).

Honestly it doesn't even need to on the same level as the Mbox Pro 3, just something that is fully supported by Windows 10 and has at least 2 inputs (both XLR and 6.5mm phono). I'm using Pro Tools Ultimate.

I'm open to suggestions about whether firewire or usb is better.

I'm really just doing some amateur recordings at home with it, for fun. As a result, I'd like the A/D converters to be pretty good quality, but they don't have to be professional level.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-08-2019, 12:02 AM

Default Re: Any suggestions for a reliable inexpensive interface for Pro Tools Win 10?

Why change? Is it broken? Is the Mbox not compatible w/W10, w/PT2019?

There are lots and lots of options out there, in the 2out/2in category, all with many small differences like: connection type, extra connections, controls, control software and so on. Some compatible with your computer/software, some not. I doubt very much that you will get anything like a comprehensive answer here, that takes everything into account. Especially as we don't know the details of your hardware or prefered workflow.

I really think there is no way around it; you'll have to do the leg-work yourself, searching the web for info.

I wish you good luck.

Edit: I found the thread where you just posted about the Mbox 3 not working:
For heaven's sake, will you update the drivers for MBOX 3 please, Avid?
I still think you'll have to do it yourself.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 11-08-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Any suggestions for a reliable inexpensive interface for Pro Tools Win 10?

As you can tell from the other thread you linked, a lot of people are having difficulty with the M-Box 3 Pro, and as it is unsupported, we can’t really hope for those issues to be fixed.

I agree with you that I will have to do most of the research myself, I wasn’t trying to get around that. But you’ll notice in the other thread, another user encouraged me to ask the community for suggestions on this topic, so I thought I’d take his advice.

I’m not looking for anyone to do my legwork for me here, I’m just interested in peoples personal experience in the matter.

What do you use? And if you had your time again, would you do it the same? Are you a firewire or usb person?
Old 11-08-2019, 04:38 AM

I'm retired now, have no studio anymore, so what I have is just remnants of my old gear to play with and occationally help out friends: PT10 on a 2008 Mac Pro, Apogee Duet Firewire, CommandI8, Dynaudio BM6, a midi keyboard and some mics, and my son in law keeps his Roland midi drums in a corner. All my stuff is 10+ years old, so I just can't advice you at all on anything specific regarding interface for PT2019.

If I were you I guess I'd just start by looking for something used in your area, in your price range. If you find something you like that has features you like, then check if it is supported by PT and that it connects to your computer. Audio quality on this type of interfaces is never bad, so that's almost a non-issue, in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:35 AM

I'd give ASIO4ALL a try as you have nothing to lose. For replacing it, since you have firewire on your PC, a used 003rack is a great bargain(prices are all over the map but I bought 2 of them for $150 and $90 and they are working fine on the current release of PT(2019.10).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-08-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'd give ASIO4ALL a try as you have nothing to lose.
You mean to make the Mbox pro work?
Old 11-08-2019, 11:51 AM

And not mentioning Asio4all again the Mbox3 is not on a high ”level” so anything less is a phone speaker and you can find a Focusrite for less than 120 USD that kills those 15 year old mboxes.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 PM

Focusrite 2i2 user here, get's the job done, great at lower buffer sizes too!
Old 11-08-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
Focusrite 2i2 user here, get's the job done, great at lower buffer sizes too!
The Focusrite 2i2 looks exactly like the kind of thing i'm looking for, thanks.
Just 2 questions, what version of windows and pro tools are you using with it? And do you use the audio output for all windows functions, or do you only use it for pro tools?
Old 11-08-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
You mean to make the Mbox pro work?
Yes.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave