Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-03-2002, 02:25 AM

Default Kramer vs. Kramer Vs. ADAT vs. 001

Ok. I may be ready to eat some humble pie, but I want a you guys' opinion first. I have been a 001 user for close to 2 years. My Setup is(listed for the first time!)

G4 400/640 of RAM
DBX 166
ART Dual MP
Alesis RA-100
Event 20/20 monitors
SansAmp PSA-1
Loads of Shure Mics(dynamic)
Sm81
and so forth.

anyway....

I have been doing alot of recording for myself and other folks in the past couple of years. I recently got a deal where I am to go around to different churches and some schools to record live choir and orchestra events. It has been goin very well. In November I bought an ADAT LX and a Studio 24 board. It has been working great. Get to the gig, do the recording, get home, lightpipe in, a few effects, client loves it, and demands more.

Sounds great but... I have been noticing that that the sound quality of the 20-bit ADAT seems to be a bit cleaner than the stuff that I record here at home. I mean, the definition of some of the choir stuff that I have done is phenominal. I recorded a High School choir on Thursday, using(among other mics), a pair of cheap Carvin condenser mics. The quality was very, very good. Better than anything I have acheived at home.

So, anyway, does anyone have any input on whether or not I should route all of my signals through the Studio 24, then the ADAT, to the 001?

I guess I could also get a Digimax if that would help, but that is a little ways off.

Any suggestions?

Oh, the humble pie stuff has to due with the fact that I was completely satisfied with the pres/converter on the 001 until recently!!!!

NP
Old 02-03-2002, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Kramer vs. Kramer Vs. ADAT vs. 001

The Quality advantage of your ADAT recordings probably stems from the fact that when you listen and mix, you are sending each track through its own converter. THese tracks are then summed on a analog board for mixing. I am finding even the cheapest converters sound better when the summing is performed in the real world. The 001 is summing in the digital realm. ( if you are usinf BTD)
Try taking a 001 creation and sending all the outputs individually to your board. Then mix it and do a comparison. The difference may shock you.
Old 02-03-2002, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Kramer vs. Kramer Vs. ADAT vs. 001

Actually, I am flying these tracks in from ADAT and mixing wthin PTLE. That's why it is so amazing the sonic difference.

NP