Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2020, 11:38 AM

Default Another CPU overload thread

Hello out there. I am desperate to solve my current overload problem (AAE -9173).

I am using PT 2019, on a 2018 MBP with 2.9gHz i9 processor with 32 GB RAM running Mojave.

The overloads are happening while trying to print a fairly articulate passage of drums coming from Steven Slate Drums 5 (a full verse of a snare roll, marching band style). The spike to 100% happens at nearly the same spot EVERY pass, with literally every non-related track/bus made inactive and every single plugin disabled. Buffer size is maced at 2048, and I've tried various dick cache sizes. No luck.

The spike is coming down thread six in System usage. Drum samples are stored on a Lacie 2TB external, while audio is being recorded to a separate 2TB SSD. Session is 24bit/96kHZ, which may be a factor. But I'm really hoping I can solve this, it is literally destroying my workflow because I can't get past this verse. Thanks in advance for any insight here.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Another CPU overload thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronbagby View Post
Hello out there. I am desperate to solve my current overload problem (AAE -9173).

I am using PT 2019, on a 2018 MBP with 2.9gHz i9 processor with 32 GB RAM running Mojave.

The overloads are happening while trying to print a fairly articulate passage of drums coming from Steven Slate Drums 5 (a full verse of a snare roll, marching band style). The spike to 100% happens at nearly the same spot EVERY pass, with literally every non-related track/bus made inactive and every single plugin disabled. Buffer size is maced at 2048, and I've tried various dick cache sizes. No luck.

The spike is coming down thread six in System usage. Drum samples are stored on a Lacie 2TB external, while audio is being recorded to a separate 2TB SSD. Session is 24bit/96kHZ, which may be a factor. But I'm really hoping I can solve this, it is literally destroying my workflow because I can't get past this verse. Thanks in advance for any insight here.
It's a crap solution, but did you try cutting that part into it's own Clip, selecting the Clip, and right-clicking to Commit that clip, and then muting the MIDI part of that clip in the Instrument track? That might at least get you past that hump.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Have you tried the changes suggested in avid.force.com/pkb/articles/Troubleshooting/AAE-9093-9173-and-6101-Errors-on-Mac?
Old 03-02-2020, 03:53 PM

Although my system config is different, the only time I ever experience the overloads is when using SSD5. My workaround has always been to print out individual drum tracks - 1 at a time (ugh) - and then make the Instrument track with SSD5 inactive. That seemed to brute force me pass the CPU overloads.

Not sure if SSD5.5 will be better, but here's hoping it is when it's finally released.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Bell 9 View Post
Not sure if SSD5.5 will be better, but here's hoping it is when it's finally released.
Slate is pretty famous for his "coming soon" promises...
Old 03-02-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Bell 9 View Post
Although my system config is different, the only time I ever experience the overloads is when using SSD5. My workaround has always been to print out individual drum tracks - 1 at a time (ugh) - and then make the Instrument track with SSD5 inactive. That seemed to brute force me pass the CPU overloads.

This is something I would try, depending on the workflow, if I can’t get around it anyway else. How does it free up CPU? Surely if the kit is loaded in SSD5, the system reads the load whether the track is recording or not? I can’t even get it to PLAY this passage half the this.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
I have tried this, yes, with no avail. Thanks though, it was the first time I'd seen that info