Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 AM

Unhappy Pro Tools "install hangs at Installing Digidesign hardware drivers"

Hi,

First off, I think I've tried eveything in the general troubleshooting section. including turning off DEP.

I've just got Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3 on win xp sp3 and I can't get it to install. I'm running a dual boot system and it installs fine on my supposedly "junk" partition (also xp sp3) that I use for internet, games etc but on my streamlined, pristine music partition....nope.
When I'm trying to install it gets as far as the "installing digidesign hardware drivers" section, i'll have to click 2 instances of the windows xp are you sure you want to install this driver bit before it hangs.
I don't have internet explorer 8 installed. all drivers, including ilok are up to date, as is windows.

So I've tried:
- cancelling the individual processes in task manager as suggested in a few places on the web, this allows me to finish the install but Pro Tools won't launch, it just flashes up the "loading pro tools" page briefly before dissapearing. i've tried cancelling them in different orders as well.
- leaving it to install for over an hour. still nothing
- downloading "digidesign audio drivers 8.0.3" and installing them manually. still nothing. they install but i also get a "
microsoft visual c++ 2005 redistributable installer returned an error error 1612
error during installation" during the install. Pro Tools still won't launch.
- uninstalling drivers for my soundcard. same. also disconnecting soundcard. same.
- deleting all references to digidesign from my computer, temp folders, everywhere and going through the registry manually and with ccleaner and another registry cleaner (forgot its name) doing the same. nope.

Setup:
Mainboard: Asus P5K
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @
2.40GHz
Win XP SP3, up to date
M-Audio Profire 2626 + PCI audiophile 2496
Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3 straight from DVD. Also tried installing the downloadable version.
4 GB RAM
4 Sata Hard Drives
TI Firewire PCI card + Via onboard firewire
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Graphics Card

Tearing what's left of my hair out here,

Phil

Old 05-28-2010, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools "install hangs at Installing Digidesign hardware drivers"

Something is telling me it might have to do with the M-Audio hardware combination you have, remove the PCI card from the equation and see what happens...
long.island.mac.tech@gmail.com
631 786 3924

Freelance Mac/Pro Tools tech for hire. Metro New York Area.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:52 AM

thanks for the reply. just tried that and.............nothing. hangs at the same place. worth a try though.
because it installed on my other os i'm thinking it might be some software conflict or something somewhere but no idea what it could be.

phil
Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 AM

thanks for the reply. just tried that and.............nothing. hangs at the same place. worth a try though.
because it installed on my other os i'm thinking it might be some software conflict or something somewhere but no idea what it could be.

phil
Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 AM

bumpity
Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=243184

Try entering the IE8 registry tweak as documented above.
like your thinking but nope. just tried installing in safe mode as well as creating a new user account as suggested by digi tech support. still no.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:49 AM

I have the same problem, did you ever figure it out?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 PM

I think I had the same problem. Pro Tools would install but would hang up when opening or loading the software.

If this is your problem and you're using Internet Explorer 8, roll back to IE7. That's what I did and all works like a charm.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fevoice View Post
I think I had the same problem. Pro Tools would install but would hang up when opening or loading the software.

If this is your problem and you're using Internet Explorer 8, roll back to IE7. That's what I did and all works like a charm.
Thanks for the response.
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit, IE8 is included and I can't roll back. Any other ideas?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Anyone?