Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Can anyone recommend a book for protools?

Im really focusing on Vocals mostly....not the music. I work with mainly rap and usually the instrumentals already done and uploaded. But Id like to get a book that would help me get the best quality on the vocals, and how to work things such as eq, limiter, and compression. Any body have any recommendations?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Can anyone recommend a book for protools?

Modern Recording Techniques
Buy that and other key related books Here.

To get you started in protools without buying anything... go -> HERE

Also the Project Studio Handbook

And This website has a few good points (along with many many others)

Good Luck man,
-Scott
Old 10-15-2005, 05:47 PM

'The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools' by John Keane is a really good book. I'm going through that right now. If you're new to PT it'll really help you out. Give you some good, interesting tips that really do come in handy. It comes with a disc with sessions, audio files and some plug-in demos for you to use along with the book. It guides you through fixing drums, vocals, bass, guitars etc etc.

So yeah. Excellent book!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:09 PM

Yes, Jenre, Keane's book is excellenent. Its like a hands-on Lab project that gets you using ProTools at its nitty-gritty - editing, nudging, comping, automation, plugins, sends, etc - getting to know all the shortcuts. Its great - and great fun. I can't reccommend it highly enough.

Cheers,
Marty.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:52 AM

Quote:
'The Musician's Guide to Pro Tools' by John Keane is a really good book. I'm going through that right now.

I agree (and am currently re-re-re-reading the book myself). This book is an excellent starting point. It explains the basic-to-medium stuff very well - as well as providing great system usage advice. Although it doesn't really explain how you can use Pro Tools' midi capability. Other than that it's a good book (better than the idiots guide 8-in-1 book.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:21 PM

Wow! I am new to Pro tools but have been playing live & recording the old-fashioned way for 35 years. To see a book recommended in this forum that was written by an old musician friend (and live sound equipment guru) of mine from back in the day (early 80's) while I am looking for help just blows my mind. John, if you happen to see this, Howie says "hey." BTW, I am buying the book as soon as I submit this post.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:00 AM

I found a tutorial from VTC that has helped me a lot.
It costs $100 but it is very informative.
Check it out at www.VTC.com
Old 11-16-2005, 04:50 PM

Anyone know if there are any books covering 7.0 coming out anytime soon or would it be best to learn from an older book first? I've had Pro Tools for less than two months so it wouldn't really make a huge difference either way for me, but I would rather buy a book covering 7.0.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:50 PM

Try http://www.editorskeys.com they have an excellent 2 disc video tutorial covering all aspects of Pro Tools from beginner to seasoned pro. I highly recommend it! I don't think there's anything better for the money. Let me know what you all think.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 PM

Plus if you want to get up and running quickly and find it easier to learn by seeing and doing, then I would recommend the online tutorials at www.grooveboxmusic.com. For $29.95 for a month's worth of viewing you can get over 50 video tutorials on PT 6.8 and 6.9 (7.0 is in progress). They cover basics to some more advanced production techiques.

I found it very helpful when I made the switch recently from Nuendo to Pro Tools 7.