How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM

Default Help with Strike Virtual Drummer

Hi everyone,

I am a real newbie - I just started getting used to the bare basics of Pro Tools.

I have MAC OS X, Lacey External disk for storage, MBOX 2, Pro Tools 7.5 (came as part of the bundle with MBOX2) and finally Strike.

I figured that if I start new session, new stereo track, and then I think if I toggle to the other window edit window I think I can click on the strike button and it will launch strike.

The problem I see is that when I expand the strike explorer window and try out some styles.. I don't hear anything or see the kit doing anything.

I just have barebones - keyboard and mouse and no midi yet.

Can someone please give some step by step instructions of how I can record with the Strike software?...I tried figuring it out and it's not going too well.

Also if there is a manual that show's me how to do this withing Pro Tool's please let me know. The only thing I ask is to make it step by step so I can understand it. I am pretty savy with a computer but I do need the details.

Thanks for the help - I am really trying to learn Strike and how to record with it.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Help with Strike Virtual Drummer

Youtube is your friend
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spc1968 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am a real newbie - I just started getting used to the bare basics of Pro Tools.

I have MAC OS X, Lacey External disk for storage, MBOX 2, Pro Tools 7.5 (came as part of the bundle with MBOX2) and finally Strike.

I figured that if I start new session, new stereo track, and then I think if I toggle to the other window edit window I think I can click on the strike button and it will launch strike.

The problem I see is that when I expand the strike explorer window and try out some styles.. I don't hear anything or see the kit doing anything.

I just have barebones - keyboard and mouse and no midi yet.

Can someone please give some step by step instructions of how I can record with the Strike software?...I tried figuring it out and it's not going too well.

Also if there is a manual that show's me how to do this withing Pro Tool's please let me know. The only thing I ask is to make it step by step so I can understand it. I am pretty savy with a computer but I do need the details.

Thanks for the help - I am really trying to learn Strike and how to record with it.
Join the airusersblog, Russ has made 100's of videos on everything about PT and all the instruments. It cost like $10ish US and thats it and you can watch tons and tons of video that will really help you out.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microstudio View Post
Join the airusersblog, Russ has made 100's of videos on everything about PT and all the instruments. It cost like $10ish US and thats it and you can watch tons and tons of video that will really help you out.
Another vote for airusersblog.com. Awesome resource!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Smile Re: Help with Strike Virtual Drummer

Yeah ok - that video is using a midi keyboard, as I mentioned in my original post I gave details of the equipment I had.

Isn't there a way to just use the samples and drag them in or import them or something? I find it hard to believe that on the Avid forum - no one knows how to do this step by step without a midi controller.

Strike seems like it has really nice styles and samples in the explorer window so how do we import those into pro tools?

I really don't need to play the kit and get all fancy schmancy- I just want to record some drum tracks down...

Thx
Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
Youtube is your friend
HD2,

Isn't there a way to import track samples or loops from Strike - this video is a little off topic based on the setup I have with a mouse. There has to be a way for Strike to do this without a midi device.

Yeah ok - that video is using a midi keyboard, as I mentioned in my original post I gave details of the equipment I had.

Isn't there a way to just use the samples and drag them in or import them or something? I find it hard to believe that on the Avid forum - no one knows how to do this step by step without a midi controller.

Strike seems like it has really nice styles and samples in the explorer window so how do we import those into pro tools?

I really don't need to play the kit and get all fancy schmancy- I just want to record some drum tracks down...

Thx
Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM

Hi, The youtube link that was given to you clearly shows at 1:25 how to trigger the samples in Strike without a midi keyboard using a mouse.

You will need to route strike to a midi track or audio track to record the samples that you play or the beat.

Pro tools is not a sampler so you cant import the sounds from Strike into pro tools tracks. You have to record them in. Strike is the drum sampler. Pro tools is a recorder/sequencer.

And the suggestion for you to join the airusersblog is a good one. Between the Airusersblog and Youtube, you should be able to get up and running on pro tools and strike with no problem and get your beats.

You cant just open up a stereo track and open strike and everything plays. You will need an instrument track first for Strike, then an audio track to record any audio from strike. You will need the midi track routed to the audio track, you will need the audio track routed to your monitors. All these things you need to know how to do. Read the Pro Tools Manual that came with your Mbox.

Chris

http://soundcloud.com/regenerationmix

http://twitter.com/regenerationmix

MacBook Pro, 2.4GHZ, 16GB, Intel Core i7, Mac OS 10.9.1 128 SSD internal HD, 750 GB Internal HD, Pro Tools 10.3.8, Digidesign 003r, Waves 8.0, Final Cut Pro 7
Old 04-23-2011, 01:15 PM

Hi regeneration mix, (Chris)

Thanks for the input.

Yes I have created an instrument track, then created an audio track and also a midi track in the session, and also a master track.

One thing about the audio tracks and instrument tracks - they must be in stereo otherwise I have noticed it will never allow me to pull up strike under the Instrument plug in.

I can clearly see the section @ 1:25 in the video. However after loading the sample style this clicking in the top region with the mouse will blink temporarily and then go down to the bottom section of the midi layout. So the mouse trick doesn't work. One other thing about this video is that he doesn't show how he set it up. Now I understand what you are saying as a newbie but I am am pretty certain that the video doesn't give detail. I've spent about over 5 hours looking into this so it's not that easy to me.

I've taken a screen shot of the session (but forum will not let me paste attachment) and if you look at the Strike screen in the upper left hand corner you can see that I can choose between intrument or audio. Either one of these will get a signal on the edit window but none of them will record. Also I don't see how the instrument track can route it to the audio...I've tried various bus combinations and output combo's and it doesn't want to record.

The main problem is that if and when I do get this to work - I don't want to hold the mouse down on the sample while I arm to record and press the space bar...This get's back to the section about the mouse not self triggering it. So if there is anyone at Avid that has detail's on how to do this please let me know.

I really need help here PLEASE. I will try your other forum suggestion....
Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Once you have Strike enabled on an instrument track (not a midi or audio audio track) you can open the midi editor on that track and use the pencil tool to draw in midi notes. I do this all the time even though I have a keyboard right next to me. It's not hard to do and is actually a very efficient way to get beats down.

Let me know if you need step by step directions and I'll try to get those to you.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:08 PM

Smile Re: Help with Strike Virtual Drummer

Hi Sonic-land,

Thanks very much for the reply. This is a breath of fresh air...

Yes can you please send me the step by step instructions on how to do that? I would greatly appreciate it....

So are we saying that we do need a midi-device or is that built into pro-tools and I can pencil in with the mouse?

I guess the other question here is - Do I need to get a midi-device to kick off the drum selection I have or do I have to manually hold down the left mouse button? The minute I release the example stop's...this is such a drag. I want to have the selection I have continue to play while I record it.

What I am trying to find out is whether I can have a style continously play with a mouse click - however something tell's me that this is not the case... Hopefully you or someone can prove me wrong.