Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 PM

Default midi problems

Hi, I have recently tried to add an additional keyboard to my protools setup and I am running into midi problems. Up until now I have been using a roland xp-30 and an emu mo'phatt with out problems. I have been trying to add a korg X3 to the chain and the following problems occur;
1) when the korg is the first in the midi line going in the midi in and out the midi thru, then into the emu in/thru and finally into the roland in/thru the korg has control over all three units. Once I try to compose/record in protools the play back is only thru the korg not the other two units.

2) When just the roland and the emu are connected the playback works fine, producing sound thru both the roland and the emu.

3) When all three are connected but with the roland as the first in the chain the korg is non resposive to either playback or control by the roland.

I have reffered to the tech manual for the korg and it hasn't really suggested anything but modifying the midi filters and/or changing the clock. Niether of which has remedied the situation. I do not have the manuals for either the roland or the emu.

Any help would be appreciated

Steve Barber
Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Default Re: midi problems

Hi Steve

Personally, I'd buy a Multi-Port MIDI Interface.

filosofem
Old 01-09-2007, 12:53 PM

hey rob, thanks for the input. After messing around with it for a bit I have solved some problems but created some new ones.
1) with just the korg hooked up everything seems to work fine. I found that using the SEQ mode I can do everything I need to do, IE record playback etc/. I took your advice about comming out of the midi out on the korg, that seems to work fine, untill....

2) When I connect the Roland as a slave unit some interesting (read annoying) things happen. I can assign the roland to a midi track and record using the korg as the controler. THis works to a point with the protools. I can record and playback, but during recording I only hear what is the korg's channel 4 (the rolands assigned channel) is assigned to. If I set the that channel of the korg to program off I hear nothing durring recording. It does play back thru the roland however. It seems the roland only responds to the korg when the midi out of the korg is used. Using the midi thru out out of the korg makes the record and playback work fine, I just can't hear what I am recording from the roland.

3) I found the control for the tx and rx on the roland but haven;t been able to make it do what it should.

Once again any and all help is greatly appreciated. Its kind of funny that after years of goofing on fullsail guys ( I am a former live guy ) apparently that school could teach me a thing or two about midi.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:13 PM

When you only need to use one controller and multiple sound modules you can use the 002 midi ports with one midi input from the controller keyboard and a midi output for a daisey chain via midi-thru for the sound module side. But if you want to use multiple controllers you MUST get more input ports for the 002 by using another midi interfacte or by using USB midi connections. You can not daisey chain controller inputs because the midi thru on the keyboards only contain the midi signal that is present at the keyboard midi input and not the midi transmit signals that are being sent from the keyboard.

randy