Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Turned off

These forums are putting me off buying pro tools. If all these people are having problems and these forums are the extent of the support Avid offers Im not sure if its worth it.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Turned off

You have to keep in mind that a lot of the folks here are reporting problems. You are not hearing from the huge majority of people that have purchased protools and have it running fine. Also a lot of users here are reporting problems because they have installed the 9.0.5 beta.

Quick Story for you:

I have not updated my audio recording system in 10 years. I used Digital Performer, a Motu 2408 and a G4 PPC. I read the MOTU forums and believe me, it was just as scary, but the responses were few and far between. I saw this forum and there were tons of responses and they were recent and Digi Support actually reads them. I decided on Protools based on this forum.

Bought an refurbished iMac. It was supposed to have Snow Leopard, it shipped with Lion. Apple sent discs, downgraded it to Lion. Upgraded to 10.6.8.

Next week I bought the MBox Pro g3 with PT9. Installed the hardware, drivers, software, updates. I also purchased an OWC external drive and Addictive Drums plugin. I updated my Waves plugins from 2004, because their mastering stuff sounds great and I know it well.

Created iLok account, PT9 license was waiting for me. Went to Waves, generated new license, back to iLok, that license was now loaded.

After reading some of the PT 9 books and tutorials, and also checking on the web and in this forum, after a week everything seems to be up and running properly. I found so many answers to questions online because PT is so widely used.

Aggegate I/O works on the Mac, all the ins an outs work on the MBox Pro, I have my Mackie mixer running to monitor MIDI instruments, and I didn't realize that there is a wealth of stuff that ships with PT such as Xpand2 and Boom. Got the AD software running so I can print all of the MIDI tracks from each drum in the kit painlessly.

I have a long way to go to be a PT power user, but for my needs it seems stable so far and has more power than I will ever use in my small project studio.

Just wanted you to hear from the group of users that are using and enjoying the software.

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 08-24-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
These forums are putting me off buying pro tools. If all these people are having problems and these forums are the extent of the support Avid offers Im not sure if its worth it.
This is a support forum. People come here when they have problems. Of course the majority of posts are going to be of issues and complaints, that's why the forum exists.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-24-2011, 03:35 PM

In agreement with those above.. Do you go to a mechanic and decide to not buy a car because of all of the cars there needing repair?

There are other forums for folks using PT that are not having issues, (at least no debilitating ones),... Radio, television, movies, etc....
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
In agreement with those above.. Do you go to a mechanic and decide to not buy a car because of all of the cars there needing repair?...
Once I went to a used car dealership with a "trusty" mechanic friend of mine…
"Be careful!… These guys seem shady!"… he whispered when he learned that the dealership was owned by a mechanic.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 PM

One thing I will say about recording with Pro Tools. You find out very quickly that you need to know your computer backwards and forwards, and the PT software, as well as the OS. Considering one has to spend so much time troubleshooting problems when they come up, and it can be painful. You want to create and record? Fine. But there's much more to it... And I don't think I realized any of this when I first began.....
Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightFlyer View Post
One thing I will say about recording with Pro Tools. You find out very quickly that you need to know your computer backwards and forwards, and the PT software, as well as the OS. Considering one has to spend so much time troubleshooting problems when they come up, and it can be painful. You want to create and record? Fine. But there's much more to it... And I don't think I realized any of this when I first began.....
This is true for any application that you run at a professional level "extensively"...
Old 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Do your homework, and most importantly, don't buy a computer until you know it's right for ProTools.
If you do that then you are 90% of the way to a happy Pro Tools system.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 PM

How long do you think 9.0.5 will be beta supported for lion before becoming officially supported?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumin View Post
This is true for any application that you run at a professional level "extensively"...
Well put!