Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2016, 02:45 PM

Default Recording Electric Guitar with effects

Hey everyone! While I'm new to pro audio I'm super pumped! That being said I want to start laying some heavy stuff down but so far can only get reverb and delay applied to my guitar. Is there any amps within protools first that I can't find?

Can I use another DAW / free plugins and then import that track into protools?

Will I have to just get a foot pedal of your favorite sound and go right into my audio interface with it?

I need your expertise my friends! Looking forward to being a part of this community for yeaaaars to come!

-Kail
(Kelly Ehlers)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2016, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Recording Electric Guitar with effects

HI, I recently came up with this setup. I've only added the Green $5 pedal so far. For heavier stuff I'm going to get the black(rat pedal). I've been playing guitar for 30 years, so If you have questions about the setup, I'll be around. I had to convert the image to .PDF so you could see it. I've added a second bus since then. The time adjust is a very low setting, it simulates the spread of tube distortion IMO. Everything else is a relatively low setting also. quick response reverbs in 100's and such. really just try to get a mic'd cabinet sound out of it, then you can go nuts and add more to it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Amp.pdf (249.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-15-2016, 05:36 PM

You really need to start with a amp sim plugin on that track and then add pedals if/as needed.

Avid made a really stupid decision not to include a decent guitar/bass amp sim like Eleven Free with Pro Tools First. Not even Sansamp. I'm not even sure if you can buy any guitar amp plugin for Pro Tools First. WTF was Avid thinking.

Apple does much better the amps and effects pedals included with Garage Band and Logic Pro X. They are very good and set a baseline for this kind of thing in an out of the box DAW experience for guitar/bass musicians.

Full Pro Tools with a full Eleven license is a nice proposition if you want an amp sim on Pro Tools. As are many third party amp sim plugins available on full Pro Tools, including things like Bias, Softube, AmpliTube, NI Guitar Rig, and many more. Ditto for just about every other DAW which likely support all those third party amp plugins (Eleven is Avid proprietary--but nice) The likelihood of leading plugin vendors porting their plugins to Avid's closed Pro Tools First walled garden is likely zero.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Welcome to the community.

There are some plug-ins you can add. See http://www.avid.com/pro-tools-first/...lug-in-bundles and check out the Distortion and Modulation bundles.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You really need to start with a amp sim plugin on that track and then add pedals if/as needed.

Avid made a really stupid decision not to include a decent guitar/bass amp sim like Eleven Free with Pro Tools First. Not even Sansamp. I'm not even sure if you can buy any guitar amp plugin for Pro Tools First. WTF was Avid thinking.

Apple does much better the amps and effects pedals included with Garage Band and Logic Pro X. They are very good and set a baseline for this kind of thing in an out of the box DAW experience for guitar/bass musicians.

Full Pro Tools with a full Eleven license is a nice proposition if you want an amp sim on Pro Tools. As are many third party amp sim plugins available on full Pro Tools, including things like Bias, Softube, AmpliTube, NI Guitar Rig, and many more. Ditto for just about every other DAW which likely support all those third party amp plugins (Eleven is Avid proprietary--but nice) The likelihood of leading plugin vendors porting their plugins to Avid's closed Pro Tools First walled garden is likely zero.
I agree that it's easier to start that way, but it can be done. I have most amp sims available, as well as a few analog amps.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacekidX View Post
I agree that it's easier to start that way, but it can be done. I have most amp sims available, as well as a few analog amps.
Lack of the benefits of having speaker/cabinet distortion alone is a major limitation. If you have some good of amp sims in other DAWs you can play wth that yourself and see. Or just do that guitar processing in one of your other DAWs, I'm not sure why you would use Pro Tools First at all if you had other DAWs available, especially with lots of plugins.

Avid Eleven (and even Eleven Free) and the Eleven Rack derived effects pedal plugins are very good, and so are many (but not all) of the other leading amp and pedal sims.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Lack of the benefits of having speaker/cabinet distortion alone is a major limitation. If you have some good of amp sims in other DAWs you can play wth that yourself and see. Or just do that guitar processing in one of your other DAWs, I'm not sure why you would use Pro Tools First at all if you had other DAWs available, especially with lots of plugins.

Avid Eleven (and even Eleven Free) and the Eleven Rack derived effects pedal plugins are very good, and so are many (but not all) of the other leading amp and pedal sims.
I've played with things long enough to know the difference. I like protools and will eventually buy an upgrade. But, I would send you a copy of my file if I could and you could see for yourself that it actually is better in many ways. I have my own total control over the entire thing. The only thing that compares to it is my Plugin alliance Chandler.