Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2018.4 Ultimate and MacOs Mojave

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Do I understand that you have the iMac Pro now? If so it's your own fault for not checking this out beforehand. Don't blame Apple for your woes.
here we go.. you just had to have your dig.

I have NOT ordered an imac pro.. i do NOT own an imac pro.

I am trying to find a way TO order a new apple computer WITHOUT 10.13.6
am actually trying to do what you are accusing me of not doing, and organise this PRIOR to ordering a new machine. Cause I DO do my research before i spend such huge amounts of money.

Last edited by Southsidemusic; 07-24-2018 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Edited for name calling!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I am trying to find a way TO order a new apple computer WITHOUT 10.13.6
new hardware inside needs new drivers, and they place a minimum version requirement on the OS as a whole. CPU refreshes are pretty bad, as intel seem to have a new chipset out for every CPU revision they make. GPUs need their hardware IDs updated. etc.

Apple have a stupidly aggressive update schedule. If something breaks this late in an OS's lifecycle, fixes usually appear in the next major version. Avid, on the other hand, seem to be taking their sweet time in updating Pro Tools's engine to run without hickups.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
So i've been on the phone to apple all morning, sales told me the apple stores should keep previous versions of HS...

Um...

Tech support closest apple store said they do NOT, and it is impossible to put 10.13.3 on an imac pro that comes with 10.13.6

They dont keep any sub updates, not even the original 10.13.0

If i had a compatible computer and i wanted say 10.11 or 10.12, then that they could do, but not previous versions of the OS it ships with.

That's direct from apple guys, I can not order an imac pro with 10.13.2, or 10.13.3

It was like talking to a child, was so frustrating.
+1

This is a problem with Apple now. It’s not easy to get an earlier version of OS X. When I went from Sierra to High Sierra, I tried to get the last version that Avid lists as compatible, but an Apple rep flatly said that this was impossible. I could only upgrade to the latest version of High Sierra.

This breaks the strategy of staying on the previous OS and only updating to the last version that Avid supports. If I had updated a few months ago, I would have been fine, but since Apple forces you to upgrade only to the latest version, you have a limited window of time to upgrade when Avid happens to support the latest version of the next OS.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
+1

This is a problem with Apple now. It’s not easy to get an earlier version of OS X. When I went from Sierra to High Sierra, I tried to get the last version that Avid lists as compatible, but an Apple rep flatly said that this was impossible. I could only upgrade to the latest version of High Sierra.

This breaks the strategy of staying on the previous OS and only updating to the last version that Avid supports. If I had updated a few months ago, I would have been fine, but since Apple forces you to upgrade only to the latest version, you have a limited window of time to upgrade when Avid happens to support the latest version of the next OS.
So has Apple gotten away from being able to download whatever combo updater one wanted to use? Old strategy used to be grab the initial release of OSX and then grab whatever combo updater one needed.

QAPLA!
Old 07-24-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
what buffer size and interface are you using Eric? And what sort of mac?
Any buffer size works and is dependent upon the tracks involved (I use a lot of VIs). Avid HD interface. 6-core late 2013 trashcan Mac.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
So has Apple gotten away from being able to download whatever combo updater one wanted to use? Old strategy used to be grab the initial release of OSX and then grab whatever combo updater one needed.
You can still get the combo updates. The problem is that you apparently can't get the initial releases anymore -- at least that's what an Apple rep told me. So, if you are currently running Sierra, there isn't a supported way of getting to 10.13.4. You have to go right to the latest version of High Sierra or stay on Sober Sierra.

I would love to be wrong about this, but it doesn't appear that you can download the initial release of 10.13 from their combo update page:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos
Old 07-24-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Re: ProTools 2018.4 Ultimate and macOS Mojave

I tried finding a fresh copy of a specific OS recently and it was like pulling teeth. This is why we've been saving the downloads and storing them away for safe keeping.

What I was able to do is go to the App Store, click the Purchased tab, and a few OSs were available for download.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
You can still get the combo updates. The problem is that you apparently can't get the initial releases anymore -- at least that's what an Apple rep told me. So, if you are currently running Sierra, there isn't a supported way of getting to 10.13.4. You have to go right to the latest version of High Sierra or stay on Sober Sierra.

I would love to be wrong about this, but it doesn't appear that you can download the initial release of 10.13 from their combo update page:

https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos
I've been able to find what I thihnk (but am not sure) are initial releases of an OSX version from Amazon

QAPLA!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
new hardware inside needs new drivers, and they place a minimum version requirement on the OS as a whole. CPU refreshes are pretty bad, as intel seem to have a new chipset out for every CPU revision they make. GPUs need their hardware IDs updated. etc.

Apple have a stupidly aggressive update schedule. If something breaks this late in an OS's lifecycle, fixes usually appear in the next major version. Avid, on the other hand, seem to be taking their sweet time in updating Pro Tools's engine to run without hickups.
No.. the 8 core and 10 core imac pro came with 10.13.2, so they CAN run that or 10.13.3.. it's a case of finding those versions as full installers.. This is what works with pro tools properly.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
No.. the 8 core and 10 core imac pro came with 10.13.2, so they CAN run that or 10.13.3.. it's a case of finding those versions as full installers.. This is what works with pro tools properly.
Maybe you could force the combo updater to install on top of a newer version, if you know your way around its plists/scripts, then whack the imac pro update on top. Maybe. I haven't tried it myself. Chances are it won't work. I wouldn't be able to help you. :)