Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-24-2011, 04:47 AM

Default HPF question/ Rhy Guitars

I'm owrking on mixing a session for a friend who likes a LOT of tracks. So far, there are 8 Rhythm guitars playing distorted power chords panned hard left and right, four per side. On top of that, there's a bass track that I'm also sending to an aux with SansAmp on it, to give the bass a bit of dirt.

Needless to say, things are getting a tad muddy.

My question is this. Would I possibly benefit from putting a 1 band HPF eq on each of the rhythm guitars, cutting at say 130hz? Or should I use the 7-band eq, use the HPF option, and eq each guitar differently? I get confused when eq'ing multiple guitars when they are playing the same part, cause, in theory, you want them to sound like some single awesome-huge-instrument, right?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 AM

Default Re: HPF question/ Rhy Guitars

unless he nailed the doubles every time they are never going to sound like the same instrument. In fact your introducing phase problems, differences in attack and cutoff. It would probably sound like 8 Gtrs being played at the same time if you mixed it how I mix (and you probibly mix how you mix not how I mix) and that could be cool in some situations. If he likes the sound of doubled instruments and its getting muddy maybe try to find out what he likes about the doubles. Find out what he wants to keep and EQ towards that end. I would try to get the person to cut down the track count for the sake of his music. If he wants a massive guitar maybe beef up the sound of 1 or 2 guitars but 8? and all playing the same part. something going to get berried. are you bussing them and processing them together? I do that with horns allot.

anyhoo try it both ways see what sounds better. (ok that made me gigle a little cause i don't envy you) would love to hear a sample when your done.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 AM

Haha. I suggested that maybe eight was a bit much. He wanted me to use Elastic Audio to "tighten" things up a bit, which in his mind is really just "quantizing."

I'd rather let him have me re-amp them, since he never changed his tone or pickup position, so it literally is a bunch of tracks playing the "same" thing, phase issues aside. I was thinking of taking the best two and hiding/make inactive the others. It's not a paying gig, since he's my buddy. I just want to make sure it sounds the best it can.

My process changes depending on the session. Sometimes, I'll bus them all to one stereo aux and EQ that, but sometimes I EQ the guitars seperately.

What do you guys usually do?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 AM

With 8 passes of the same thing, I would probably take half and turn them way down(maybe commit some psycho-acoustics and leave the faders all up, but insert the trim plugin on several and lower the trim volume....a lot). As for elastic Audio, I would probably adjust a few things so that it doesn't sound too sloppy, and I also would EQ some of the tracks quite different, to where they might not sound good solo'd, but might help clean up the overall mix. Re-amping is another tool I might use(if the original tracks aren't already distorted a lot). Hard to offer much more without hearing what you have to work with

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Good point. I'll put it up this afternoon. Anyone know a good site to use where I can simply post the wav?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:37 PM

I think it is really important that you give him the truth. Mix it your way, but give him the freedom to chose his way, if he wants. You may be ten times the musician he is but, in this case you are the engineer and he is the artist.

Antelope Zen
Creation Station
Old 02-24-2011, 05:57 PM

(maybe commit some psycho-acoustics and leave the faders all up, but insert the trim plugin on several and lower the trim volume....a lot).

Genius-pure genius!--- Wilee Coyote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell1532 View Post
Good point. I'll put it up this afternoon. Anyone know a good site to use where I can simply post the wav?
I have a list of some sites here:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287336
Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM

Sick. I'll do it in a few hours. FYI: it'll be rough, no master buss processing or anything.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:27 PM

Ok, so I put it up on dropbox. Anyone know how to "share" it without sending a bunch of emails? Is there a way I can link to it?