Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-25-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Want to go from Clone to Clean Install

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I did make an honest attempt to find the answer by searching, but I'm not real good at this.

My husband runs ProTools LE with Windows XP and a few months ago got a new, faster studio computer. We cloned the old computer's C: drive, put it in the new computer and did a WinXP recovery install, changed some drivers, and the new computer booted right up. Everything seemed to work like a charm - for a while.

In between making the clone and actually moving the 001 card to the new computer and starting to use the new computer, he used the old computer for a while. My husband wanted to retrieve some files from it, so he put it in as the D: drive and successfully got the files. Unfortunately, the next time he tried to boot up the system crashed big time. Nobody knows for sure exactly what happened but it was a nightmare to fix. The predominant theory is that having two bootable clones of each other in at the same time can cause what we experienced since they have the same numbers.

Anyway, then I got to reading and found a lot of material indicating that clones are less reliable than computers with clean installs of XP. I'm thinking I should now replace my husband's C: drive with one based on a clean install. He freaked at the thought of reinstalling everything, especially since the studio computer isn't on the Internet and authorizing programs requires endless phone calls and hold times. Also, he didn't know if he could transfer all the system settings/tweaks/disables and also all his presets without having to start completely over. I figure that if most of that can somehow be moved over, I could install and reauthorize the programs over a period of time.

So . . . bottom line question . . . what is the recommended process for a clean Windows install that would save as much existing ProTools stuff like presets and WIndows settings as possible? What can and can't be transferred?

Thanks in advance very very much,
Rebecca
Old 08-25-2004, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Want to go from Clone to Clean Install

WOW!

A clean install is the best way to get a good, stable system up and running, a clone on the other hand is (in my opinion) the worst way to go about moving your system. simply because cloning a hard drive and putting it in another computer is like cloning a mans brain and putting it in a womans body (or vice versa).

as far as transferring settings, you may be able to move your plugin presets. windows settings are not moveable tho because they are hardware dependant, if you change the hardware they become void so that feature isnt even really available on xp home or professional. you can however hook the two computers up with an ethernet cable and copy all your docs (not programs, those are non-transferable too) as well as favourites and misc audio files.

ps if your old system has high speed internet you can share that connection with the new system using an ethernet cable. your old system will need to have an ethernet port for the net, and one for sharing the connection and the setup is real easy and steps are available in the windows help file

post if you have more questions

ACK

good luck