Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Default Re: SSD + 7,200 RPM drive

Thank you musicman691. Formatting won't be a problem; I actually know how to do that. Like you, I pick up the occasional commission in the studio, but I don't really solicit any work. I am, after all, retired, and kickin' back keeps me busy.

And thanks to each of you who took the time to respond!

Jim
Old 09-09-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
Thanks to each of you for your help, especially to musicman 691. You hit the nail on the head. Here's a link to the SSD I purchased as my program drive. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-ssd-mx500

The spinner is a WD. Specs per receipt from the computer's purchase in 2013 are as follows: 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive. It is NOT a green drive. (Sorry, I should have stated that in advance.) The system is Windows 10 version 1903. I'm running Pro Tools 12.5. CPU is an Intel 17-3770 (I think. I upgraded that from the original i5 and, as I stated, I cannot currently access that computer.) If I have to, I could buy a matching SSD for my data drive, but I'm an old guy living on social security, so I'd rather not spend the money. Know what I mean?

Will they work together? Perhaps the best way is for me to just try. Thanks again!
Thanks for the update. This is a pretty simple install then with a SATA drive and SATA SSD. And to be clear the thing you should be asking more is have I got these drives setup up optimally or got anything wrong that will bite you. It's not exactly the compatibility of the HDD and SSD. If either of those work, they'll work on that computer then they'll work together.

And one reason for asking about the SSD specs is to understand if there are firmware updates for the drive. And there is an update for the MX500, probably not super crucial but you may want to take it if the drive is not at that update already. See: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-mx500, and here is how you find your firmware revision: https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/find-...vision-windows. SSDs are incredibly complex beasts and it is usually a good idea to keep the firmware fairly up to date. Make sure you have a backup of that drive before updating the firmware. If you don't make regular backups now ius a good time to do that, using Acronis or similar software (at least for the boot drive).

Your CPU age (launched in 2012) likely means you have SATA III (6 Gbps) connections off the motherboard to the drive. But you should check they are not SATA II (if so you could add a PCIe SATA III adapter). It's unlikely... but just something to check.

Had you had a more setup with a very high performance PCIe SSD then a better setup might have been to ditch the HDD and put everything on that single SSD. With a SATA SSD you want to leave them separate.

And a final question is on Windows you need to be using NFTS filesystems for the OS and the session drive, not exFAT. Likely not a problem here, very rarely that might be an issue with some smaller external drives that might come pre-formated as exFAT.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Thank you, Darryl, for the suggestion and the links. Using them, I was able to get everything updated and running smoothly.

Jim