Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Default Re: so happy i did not update my PT ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
Still. Half of what Ultimate users pay. Let's talk reinstatement after a lapse of Support Plan... I got mine for 20% off and it was still $799. And the time that my plan had lapsed was greater than 2 years so it worked about to being just less than if I had stayed current, though not by a whole lot. The updates since my reinstatement have mostly been useful.
I think both sets of plans are priced too high, by about 100%. Really I would be onboard with Ultimate if it was at 200.00 per year no problem even after buy-in. Avid appears to not understand the model of selling at scale.

It doesn't matter if you are paying twice what the vanilla folks are. Avid isn't delivering enough value on either end.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Avid appears to not understand the model of selling at scale.
Avid appears to appreciate selling hardware and ever since PT9 the software sales have not necessarily drived hardware sales, which means higher software price. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

For comparison, entry-level HD1 system cost about 10k back in the day.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:52 PM

+1 to being thrilled at not continuing to give Avid money for software that feels like it is in "maintenance mode". The other DAWs are so good once you re-train some entrenched habits / mental complexes of everything working like PT - and most importantly, they continue to be updated with major upgrades.

I'm also not a fan of the subscription model since I don't get the time to make music as frequently as that type of model would demand. That's why I stopped my Slate subscription too - I have UAD / FabFilter / etc. plugins that I bought 10 years ago for a single price and they are still working perfectly well when I find the time to use them. I paid $199 for Logic who knows how many years ago and it is continually introducing really great new features (especially if you create in it as I do).