Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Default Re: so happy i did not update my PT ...

You're not missing anything, and yet you're missing what others have learned. Because you have been using Pro Tools for decades you are familiar with it, know all of its quirks and workarounds, and can work in it without thinking. Completely automatic. That has tremendous value. If you can do everything you want to do, and the workflow is ingrained, you work faster and easier.

But what you may realize on a conscious level, but maybe not subconsciously, is how much the fact you have worked in the same product for years and years affects your perception. You said you are happy when you convert projects from other DAWs to PT. Of course you are, you're back in familiar territory.

But for those of us who spent some time learning another tool, eventually you discover that there are faster, better ways to do many things once you take the time to learn them well, for them to be automatic, ingrained. I've used both Samplitude and now Reaper, and now that I know them well, for my purposes both are far superior to PT. I'm far more productive and can do things I can't in PT.

Again, there's no reason to change if you're happy, but for those who are frustrated, there are other tools. Several have mentioned Studio One. I tried it, but for me, Reaper was faster. And now, when I'm using Reaper (which admittedly is a lengthy learning curve) I marvel at how much easier and more logical everything is. I know that won't be true for everyone, but it sure is for me. And Cockos is an exceptionally good company to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_BE View Post
I don´t get it... I´m paying around 400$ every year now and I get a full studio setup I used to pay 2-3k 20 years ago (electricity NOT included) - since 2019.5 protools is rockstable again - pure pleasure to work with every day (and it was shaky for a while I know..) - I have to go to other DAWs sometimes when clients bring their sessions in and we have to convert them - I´m always super happy to go back to protools - so what am I missing?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 AM

Yeah, anyway, with the preview of the new Pro Tools, I won't be continuing with it..

Still have the educational discount so might pick it up again in a year or so if there's anything of interest..I'll probably upgrade Reason instead..try to start moving towards using Cubase more..
Old 10-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Hmm, new update announced today. No date though. Primarily aimed at Post users, which are a significant userbase.

You non Ultimate users complaining about $99 yearly is laughable. While the $399 we Ultimate users pay yearly is less than ideal it does pay for itself (if you are a pro) and has come in handy this week as I have had to contact support for the first time in over a decade.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
You non Ultimate users complaining about $99 yearly is laughable.......
Ehem...199.00
Old 10-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
You non Ultimate users complaining...
People have been complaining there are two versions of PT. Features should be available to everyone, right? Granted, in a perfect world there wouldn't be different tiers like it was in the early days of PT (before LE that is).

But imagine the day in the future when there is once again only one PT and its pricing is what we now call "Ultimate" -- there will be a group of people complaining there isn't a cheaper version of PT.

Mark my words, that's what's going to happen...
Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Ehem...199.00
Still. Half of what Ultimate users pay. Let's talk reinstatement after a lapse of Support Plan... I got mine for 20% off and it was still $799. And the time that my plan had lapsed was greater than 2 years so it worked about to being just less than if I had stayed current, though not by a whole lot. The updates since my reinstatement have mostly been useful.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
People have been complaining there are two versions of PT. Features should be available to everyone, right? Granted, in a perfect world there wouldn't be different tiers like it was in the early days of PT (before LE that is).

But imagine the day in the future when there is once again only one PT and its pricing is what we now call "Ultimate" -- there will be a group of people complaining there isn't a cheaper version of PT.

Mark my words, that's what's going to happen...
hi Janne, what i would like to see is the transfer from Standard PT to Ultimate .. those little things that you can do like TRIM Automation for example would be nice to be able to Edit when someone brings an Ultimate session home to work on - using Standard at home ..

i agree we will see it become One Program !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 10-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Good thing is you can already go for Ultimate if you want full features, bad thing is it costs more. Though if my guess is right once there is only one PT the cost will be "Ultimate" anyway so why not get used to it now

EDIT: why is it a good thing? well, maybe perhaps back in the day you needed HD hardware to have full features, now all you need is the full-featured software.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:30 AM

I could understand surround, clip effects, and more tracks. But trim!? That's incredibly basic. Is there any functional difference between Ultimate trim and the trim plugin we can all use?
Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
I could understand surround, clip effects, and more tracks. But trim!? That's incredibly basic. Is there any functional difference between Ultimate trim and the trim plugin we can all use?
We don't make policies, we just use what is good for us.

There was a time when Pro Tools was one software and you needed certain hardware to be able to use it. There may be time where Pro Tools will once again be one software without ties to certain hardware. But should that happen, the price will likely be what we now know as PT Ultimate.