Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 11-09-2019, 02:10 AM

Default Re: How to transfer 32bit float into session without clipping

So you're saying transfer files from a usb thumb drive instead of copying files via usb-c cable from the SD card?
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
So you're saying transfer files from a usb thumb drive instead of copying files via usb-c cable from the SD card?
Im saying don't COPY during Protools import.
If you want to transfer the files, either way is fine. But transfer to a
folder, then ADD during import.
Check you PT preferences, so you don't copy on import.

See if that helps.

FILE/IMPORT/ADD ALL
Old 11-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Ok so I got it to work but I had to do it in RX. After several attempts it still clips in pro tools. However pro tools doesn't render it clipped, it only seems to draw the waveform as clipped and plays it back clipped, but if I send it to RX through the connect plugin, bring down the level and send it back it then works; unclipped audio. Could it be because I'm importing 24bit and 32bit in the same session?

[edit] ok so just found out it doesn't work with clip gain, you have to use the Gain plugin in Audiosuite; attenuate the gain by however much hit render and viola! Waveforms redraw unclipped and sounds correct.

Last edited by melloj; 11-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:53 AM

Did you figure out what was going on with this?

I am seeing something similar.
Got an aaf from a realityshow, and the locationaudio is insanely distorted when imported to protools. But the audio files sounds fine in t.ex. in VLC and RX.

The aaf is exported from AVID.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lode View Post
Did you figure out what was going on with this?

I am seeing something similar.
Got an aaf from a realityshow, and the locationaudio is insanely distorted when imported to protools. But the audio files sounds fine in t.ex. in VLC and RX.

The aaf is exported from AVID.
Is the audio embedded in the AAF? If so it won’t be higher than 24-bit so the 32-bit workflow won’t help you. It was probably recorded at 16 or 24-bit too. Does the waveform look clipped in RX? If it sounds different in Pro Tools I would say something in your session is making it louder.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloj View Post
Ok so I got it to work but I had to do it in RX. After several attempts it still clips in pro tools. However pro tools doesn't render it clipped, it only seems to draw the waveform as clipped and plays it back clipped, but if I send it to RX through the connect plugin, bring down the level and send it back it then works; unclipped audio. Could it be because I'm importing 24bit and 32bit in the same session?

[edit] ok so just found out it doesn't work with clip gain, you have to use the Gain plugin in Audiosuite; attenuate the gain by however much hit render and viola! Waveforms redraw unclipped and sounds correct.
I know this is an old thread but I also find normalizing it works. You can keep the normalize value at 0 but it recovers all the information there and you don’t have to guess how much to bring it down.

Clipgain doesn’t work because the original values are over 0dBFS so first you have to recover the additional information there.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:58 AM

Hello everyone, it's easy with either a 24-bit or 32-bit session. The important thing is to enable in the Preferences: Processing> Commit> Rendered File Bit Depth = Always Use 32-bit. Then, opening the NORMALIZE with Peak enabled you can recover the waveform with no audible distortion.
My two cents,
MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I know this is an old thread but I also find normalizing it works. You can keep the normalize value at 0 but it recovers all the information there and you don’t have to guess how much to bring it down.

Clipgain doesn’t work because the original values are over 0dBFS so first you have to recover the additional information there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (54.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (54.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Preferences.jpg (43.4 KB, 0 views)