Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2013, 05:07 AM

Default Korg D888 compatible?

Hi, I am considering buying the new pro tools express as a sort of entry level way of getting started with PT. My question is this- I already have a Korg D888 recorder and I was wondering whether PT express will accept the stuff I record on it, or are they not compatible? I'm no computer wizz, I just want to get good recordings down as simply as possible, to be sent elsewhere for mixing and mastering. Keep any answers pretty basic, I don't know what half the terms being used here mean. Maybe I should go back to tape!
Thanks, Grizzleguts.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Korg D888 compatible?

Do you mean transfer audio from the Korg, to a Pro Tools session? As long as the Korg records wave files at some "standard" sample rate(like 44.1K or 48K), then the audio should be fine in ANY DAW program. If you mean can the Korg be sued as an audio interface with Pro Tools, I believe the answer is no. I went back to tape once......................ONCE(tape hiss is something I do NOT miss......). When starting out with this stuff, be aware of a few things; PT Express is very limited and you will likely outgrow it quickly(so consider going in on the full standard Pro Tools software). Regarding interfaces, you get what you pay for(mostly) but IMHO, I would avoid the M-Audio line completely. A 3rd generation Mbox, or one of the many Focusrite boxes would be a wiser choice. And, above all else, make certain you have a compatible computer. There are many more PC's that will NOT work, than there are that WILL work(which is why many of us build our own to exacting specs found here on the DUC). If you don't mind the increased expense, most Mac's will do a fine job(but matching the version of OSX and the version of Pro Tools is equally critical).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-20-2013, 03:13 AM

Thanks brother, I think you answered my question. I want to use the 8 tracks on the Korg D888 to record drums bass and guitar live (it can record 8 tracks at once) then transfer it to pro tools for overdubs. I'm not a fan of using a lot of tracks, so 16 should be ok to start with. I have no idea how to work the damn thing so the simpler the better. The PT express is only about $180 with an interface that I could use to dub the extra tracks with. Sounds cheap to me. I was going to get a guy to purpose build the computer for me, so any recommendations are welcome before I start.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzleguts View Post
Thanks brother, I think you answered my question. I want to use the 8 tracks on the Korg D888 to record drums bass and guitar live (it can record 8 tracks at once) then transfer it to pro tools for overdubs. I'm not a fan of using a lot of tracks, so 16 should be ok to start with. I have no idea how to work the damn thing so the simpler the better. The PT express is only about $180 with an interface that I could use to dub the extra tracks with. Sounds cheap to me. I was going to get a guy to purpose build the computer for me, so any recommendations are welcome before I start.
Regarding building the computer, parts selection is critical and there is a thread devoted to that(IIRC, its called "i7 Builds....."). Its huge, but page 1 has most everything you really need. The best setup today seems to be built around an intel i7 cpu(socket 2011), an X79 motherboard(also socket 2011) with 4 matching sticks of RAM(either 16 or 32GB) for true quad-channel operation. For spinning drives, WD Black are best(and the only spinner I would buy today). If you have lots of cash, the right SSD can add speed to boot time and program opening(Samsung 840 PRO). Antec P280 is a nice quiet case and get a beefy power supply(like 650 watts or better).

Re. PT Express with interface for $180....well....you get what you pay for..... For my money, a better interface that can record 8 inputs and regular Pro Tools software(so you can skip the Korg and just record into Pro Tools) makes more sense(but I'm a pro and not a hobbyist).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave