Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Budget System ideas needed:-!

Hi Fellas-
I am a Powerbook user with an MBox, but I have recently upgraded (downgraded? ) to a 001 to use as a secondary system at church.
I understand that Tiger is out of the question, and so I want to use the 001 with a XP system.

I would like to build a less expensive Xp box to run this 001 and I really have very little idea where to start.

1. I know the common wisdom is AMD stuff is running well witht he Digi stuff.

Is ther some "budget" system reccomendations out there?
Mobo's, chips, cases etc!!

Thanks so much!

Brian
Old 06-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Budget System ideas needed:-!

Check out the Best Desktops and Best Laptops threads for the most up-to-date findings on computer hardware and PTLE compatibility. Allen Hallada keeps these resources very current and is probably your best bet to put something together that will work. My suggestion is this: use his suggestions and you will not go wrong.

CrossFire Studios
Old 06-08-2005, 11:28 AM

Brian,

You might want to check out the following store I found on Ebay: Computer store

supposedly this guy builds barebones AMD systems which are reasonably priced and all you would need is the memory and hard drives basically for the most part to get it up and running. I am considering one of his machines as a new machine in my studio at the moment and it seems right for the price. They also have 100% feedback so it looks like they are legit. Hope this helps
Old 06-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Thanks so far... I have read a lot about the Allenstien machine...
great stuff, but after 10 of the 140 or so pages, I was even more confused.

I'll check that Ebay link!

Any barebones system ideas?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks so far... I have read a lot about the Allenstien machine...
great stuff, but after 10 of the 140 or so pages, I was even more confused.

I'll check that Ebay link!

Any barebones system ideas?
PastorBrian

Check out page 1 of the <Best Desktops> thread. On this page you will usually find a list of parts for both the ultimate Allenstein machine, and the budget model. If you also do a search for people using the budget version you will be able to determine the pros and cons of the machine. As I recall, people are generally quite happy with both the ultimate and the budget version. I have the ultimate and could not be happier.

Good luck.

dave
K8V-SE Deluxe 4G DDR400
Radeon 9200SE-128M
Maxt 80G; WD 200G
CG8 200G SATA
Old 06-09-2005, 12:21 PM

Well, if you have never built a machine before your options are going to be to hire someone to build one for you or build one off the shelf.. trust me, you don't want one off the shelf most likely with PT.

Personally, I have been running AMD chips solid for 3 years now on various machines for different uses and have never had any troubles with them. I had two systems that were Intel/Pentium based that had fried motherboards which was not pretty... so I never looked back to those systems once I discovered the AMD's. lol

With the link I posted to the Ebay store, that guy builds a "barebone system" which is basically the motherboard, processor, power supply, ethernet, firewire, usb, cables...etc.. and all you would need to go with from there would be a decent hard drive and some ram chips. Most of the time you want to start out with around 1gb of ram for most sessions in PT (you can get away with 512, but Digi does not reccomend it and I can attest to high mixing sessions crashing 512).

You can go with the Allenstein thread and what not which will help you through sorting out which stuff is compatible for PT users, but like I mention if you have never built a machine before it is going to look a little confusing.

You might try local computer shops that build custom machines also or get one directly off of Sweetwater.com which is a pro audio company that sells some great systems. I am not sure what type of budget that you are looking at, but Ebay would be the cheapest, hiring someone to build a custom would be mid range, and having one of the major manufacturers build a custom shop would be very expensive.

hope this helps, goodluck